View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 pm 
I upgraded a working system from R5B7 to R5D1 and everything works except for sound. I get no sound when watching TV. Sound works fine when I play a DVD.

I have a plextor PX-M402U. In R5B7 I had to set the audio device for the caputur card to /dev/dsp1. I made sure that setting caried over during the upgrade, it did.

I checked and the kernel module for the plextor is loading and card1 in /proc/asound points to the plextor unit. card0 points to my soundcard and appears to be working fine.

Does anybody have an idea how I can get sound working in R5D1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:38 pm 
Try differernt devices, like just plain "/dev/dsp".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:24 am 
Make sure aumix came through the install all right, and check all the settings in it to make sure nothing's muted.
I had to re-install aumix (from synaptic) to get my sound working on R5D1, with a fresh install.

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:10 pm 
I gave up on the upgrade and did a clean install of R5D1. After the clean install I had no sound at all. I re-installed aumix and I then had sound when playing a DVD, but not when watching TV.

There must be some issue with the sound driver for the plextor PX-M402U in R5D1. I have gone back to using R5B7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:06 pm 
I had a similar problem with R5D1, in that I had no sound on the ATI card, but my Hauppauge card had sound.

I futzed with it a bit, and then gave up and reinstalled R5C7.

Post subject: Same problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:11 pm 
Just upgraded from R5B7 to R5D1 and also had no sound at all. Tried everything I could think of but still no luck. I see I'm not the only one reporting this, has anyone come up with a fix or definitive explanation about how to work around this?

-Matt

Post subject: Same
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:56 pm 
Same thing here ... the new ALSA drivers do not detect my built in Intel sound card for some reason. I have been able to rule out hardware conflict - at least a conflict with any PCI cards. I noticed that I can boot the R5C7 CD and then switch consoles at the first menu and get sound immediately (simply less'ing a directory and going scrolling up past the first line beeps); but the same process on the R5D1 CD does not.

I've been looking through the guides for other driver installs hoping to gain some knowledge about upgrading or downgrading the ALSA drivers; but being rather new with knoppix, I haven't got it right yet. Any advice or pointers to other guides explaining an ALSA driver upgrade would be wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:04 am 
I was running R5C7 with a pvr500 and an hd3000. Sound was fine.
I then clean installed R5D1 and had no sound on the pvr500, hd3000 was still ok.

The fix for me was to run
Code:
alsamixer
at a terminal window and turn up the input labelled "headphone". For some reason the pvr500 output was coming in over that input and mythtv had it set to zero. So try running alsamixer and fiddle with all the inputs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 am 
All too often we are searching for the tough answer, when the simple answer is right in front of us.

My recordings were perfect, but I couldn't get any sound out of my primary sound card. Boot logs showed that ALSA couldn't detect my MASTER sound channel to set the volume; so I assumed it was a driver error.

After running alsaconfig multiple times without any success and trying multiple other "fixes" - with not luck... the Headphone piece & pointer to alsamixer was perfect. Instead of searching for the problem, I needed to look for the easy answer. I *thought* that I made sure nothing was muted; but I glossed over the headphone volume because I wasn't using headphones nor external speakers (which might accidently be plugged into the headphone jack)... I'm using the good ol' single built-in speaker :-D

In this case running alsamixer, and unmuting the playback headphone channel, then raising its volume to match the PCM output was all it took. Thanks again... now time to pull MythTV .20 like discussed in the General forum <grin>

Post subject: Same here...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am 
Just thought I'd chime in here. I have the same problem as the original poster. I have the Plextor and using onboard sound (uses the intel driver).

A clean install of D1 has no sound at all. I went into alsamixer and unmuted everything, and turned up the volumes on everything. No luck.

So I did a clean install of C7. Works like a champ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 am 
Alsamixer was the very simple answer for me. Not only was the volume control down, but the channel was switched off. "M" restores the channel. Arrow keys control volume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:42 pm 
So happy I found this thread. I did not play with my Mythbox for some time until 2 weeks ago.
Downgraded the antenna but moved it a few feet up (which really made a difference) and just took a piece of wood and moved my motherboard, nvidia gfx, 2*hd3000 cards on it. It looks pretty amazing, cooling is much better as its inside a shelf below my HD tv (its a comfertable 39 Celsius inside the shelf unit when its closed). I off course updated to the latest 5D1 KnoppMyth.

But I lost audio. At first I thought it was perhaps the driver so I used an old sound card (aureal/vortex = sigmatel) this morning. Same thing as the onboard audio (realtek on board). I played around with all the settings in alsamixer and used aplay on wav files. No go on any of the outputs. I made sure all the outputs were unmuted but I will take a look at it again tonight.

I used a front end on my Mac and the audio is fine with my recordings. No audio on anything (games, aplay etc) on my backend/frontend though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:29 am 
I also have a PX-M402U and am getting no sound when I watch live tv or previous recordings on my frontend. Both front and back are running RC5D1. I do see an error on /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log that says:

2006-11-03 09:05:26.918 NVR: AudioInit(): /dev/dsp : error setting audio input device to 48000kHz/16bits/2channel
2006-11-03 09:05:26.924 NVR: Could not detect audio blocksize
2006-11-03 09:05:27.042 NVR: /dev/dsp: error setting audio input device to 48000 kHz/16 bits/2 channel
2006-11-03 09:05:27.119 NVR(/dev/video) Error: Can't open vbi device: '/dev/vbi'
VIDIOC_S_CTRL:V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE: Invalid argument

Does anyone else see this and is the only fix a downgrade?

I tried running the various mixer programs but it seems the PX-M402U doesn't have any mixer elements.

Oh and for some reason my system sees the Plextor as card0 not card1.

Thanks,

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:55 am 
I've tried about every combination of the alsamixer (aumix) and Myth settings; still no sound.

In the alsamixer, is the lone red square (left column) the active component?(equiv to a checkbox that a MSwindows app would use). The external speakers plug into a green jack (line out). I placed all the sliders in the middle.

Myth Setup (Util/Setting/General) -> Audio Tab
Audio Output Device ALSA:default
Mixer alsamixer PCM

KDE Info Center/Sound
Installed driver Type 10: ALSA Emulator
Audio Device: AD198x Analog (duplex)
(MB: A8N-VM CSM SoundMax ADI AD1986A)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:55 am 
I've got the same Asus motherboard as several of you with sound problems.
I have sound in R5D1 and had done the R5C7 upgrade too.

After the upgrade I had to go to a command line and run
Code:
 # alsamixer
then, unmute ALL the sound channels and reboot, before I got sound. For some retarded reason, ALSA sound is muted when you load or upgrade KnoppMyth.

My sound settings (from the Mythtv graphic screens):

audio output device: /dev/dsp
use internal volume controls - checked
Mixer device: /dev/mixer
mixer controls: PCM
independant muting of right and left audio channels - unchecked

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page 1, 2  Next