All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:08 pm 
I downloaded knoppmyth from
http://hust.la/KnoppMyth/

and burned it to a cd.

Tried the auto install, and after entering my details I keep getting:

Error: Formatting of /dev/hda1 failed. Some messaged from mkfs.ext3: mke2fs 1.35 (05-Feb-2005) mkfs.ext3: No Such device or addres while trying to determine file system size

I tried the drive on both spots on the chain to make sure it wasn't on the slave spot. I tried manual install, and was able to partition the drive like it was suggested on hust, but when I got to the bit about

" Ensure /dev/xda1 is bootable, write the partition table and quit cfdisk. Once the partitions have been created, press <CTRL><ALT><F2>. mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2. Format /dev/xda3 and xda4 with the desired filesystem type. Once complete <CTRL><ALT><F1> and return to the installation.

Note: During the making of partitions, you can choose any fstype you wish, ext2 is recommended for the live buffer (hda3) and ext3 for the data (hda4).
# mke2fs -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L cache -M /cache /dev/hda3
This should yield some performance increase on /cache (used for the ring buffer)
# mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/hda4
(I highly recommend a journalling fs for /dev/hda4)."

well I wasnt sure how to make /dev/xda1 bootable, but I made hda1 bootable. And the command to mkswap also failed, and when trying the mke2fs -j -O..... it also failed.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to try or if this is an old version or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:27 pm 
Hi,

Details...
Type of install, manual, auto, to ide or sata, and the drive is primary, jumpered as master, etc? Test the cd at boot time with ( boot: testcd )

Try the wiki for extra ideas.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:01 pm 
I tried typing testcd when the boot: comes up were you can hit enter or type tv. on doing this it says "cound not find kernel image: testcd"

but this last boot caught my eye, the cd drive (on a seperate cable) was listed as hda, switched cables and it installed. d'oh!

Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:48 pm 
Hi,

Good you are running. Also it is "boot: tv testcd" , sorry I left the tv part out the first time...

Mike

Post subject: Partitioning problem...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:28 pm 
bobertv wrote:
I tried typing testcd when the boot: comes up were you can hit enter or type tv. on doing this it says "cound not find kernel image: testcd"

but this last boot caught my eye, the cd drive (on a seperate cable) was listed as hda, switched cables and it installed. d'oh!

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for posting this, I was having this exact problem and being new to Linux was stumbling over this...

Cheers,
Golub