View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:02 am 
Would someone be kind enough to point me to the topic that might explain how to install Knoppmyth on USB pen drive (/dev/sda) rather than install it on PATA hard drive (/dev/hda).
During the install process, I was only given a choice beetwen internal hard drive partitions :
    /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3
as targets to install Knoppmyth. Attached 1GiB pen drive seems to be not detected, at first glance. What should I do to correct this ?
Note: Test conducted with R5C7 last release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:27 am 
Read the manual.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:24 am 
Thanks for your link. Here are the instructions I found.

Code:
Manual install is recommended only for advanced users. Currently if you have an SATA drive, you must use Manual Install.
You will see two options
   1. Partition
   2. Quit
on a new drive or a drive with an invalid partition table.

If you see six options, KnoppMyth recognizes the partition table.

When installing KnoppMyth, I see six options. So, installer recognizes a valid partition table on my HTPC internal hard drive. But as I don't want to remove VDR from the hard drive, I can't let KnoppMyth pursue installation on /dev/hda. That's why I want to install it on pen drive (/dev/sda).

Code:
Either way, you must partition the drive. Select partition and create 3 partitions using cfdisk.

I reached this step: choice #3 - Partitioning harddisk for KnoppMyth. It gave me the choice to select either hda or sda. Great. Unfortunately, trying to partition /dev/sda (my 1GB FAT16 pen drive) I was returned a "fatal error" message from cfdisk: "Bad primary partition 0: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder - Press any key to exit".

I remember that USB Mass Storage keys can be formatted either as superfloppy or hard disk. Likely cfdisk ends on error when trying to access a partion map on volume formatted as a floppy disk ?

Should I tune in a special way my pen drive before trying to use it as a valid volume for cfdisk ? Or better, could I instruct cfdisk not to read partition map before partitionning /dev/sda, to avoid the error ? How to do that ?

Code:
The first will be /,
the second swap,
the third /cache
and fourth /myth.

I recommend 5 gigs for /, swap should be 1.5 times memory. Use the rest of the drive for /myth.

Ensure /dev/xda1 is bootable, write the partition table and quit cfdisk.

Hope that I might be able to install :
    swap on /dev/hda4 (this partition is already designed to that purpose)
    /cache on /dev/hda3 (XFS partition dedicated to raw MPEG2-TS recording)
    / and /myth on /dev/sda1 (1GB pen drive)

Is KnoppMyth installer versatile enough to let me achieve that ?

Thanks for your advices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:00 am 
Knoppmyth is not designed specifically for what you want to do. But you should still be able to use it.

Use whatever program you want to partition the usb flash drive (I suggest the GPartEd CD). Just make a root '/' partition (sda1) and a /myth partition (sda2). (don't make any cache partition, it is no longer used) Then boot up the knoppmyth cd. Switch to a terminal. Manually build the filesystem for your /myth partition. Mount your swap partition (hda4). Go into /dev and move /dev/sda3 to some other name. Link /dev/sda2 to /dev/sda3 (this is where knoppmyth expects the /myth partition). Return to the knoppmyth menu and install onto /sda. After the install completes don't reboot. Instead go to /mnt/hdinstall/etc and edit fstab. Set up the correct mount points for all your partitions. Reboot and you should be good to go.

You will have to perform the same adjustments to /dev before upgrading with any newer version of knpppmyth.