View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 am 
Summary: The following events occurred during a fresh install of R5E50 on a new hard drive. In summary, I "fixed" a hanging issue but I am not confident my method was correct. Installation was eventually completed, yet some strange boot messages remain.

Detail: After completing the CD portion of the auto-install, I followed the prompts, removed the disc and rebooted. It was during this portion of installation that I had a problem. When the installer asked, "Use DHCP broadcast?", I chose "Yes". The machine replied with the following:
Code:
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0
Message from syslogd@mythtv at Sat Jan 20 18:37:06 2007 ...
mythtv kernel: Disabling IRQ #16

At this point, the machine would hang. After 30 minutes, there was still no change. There was no error message. Re-downloading R5E50 and re-installing with a new disc caused the same problem. During the many troubleshooting reboots, I noticed a strange line after the BIOS was loaded. The screen read:
Code:
BIOS age (2001) fails cutoff (2002), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
Suspend2 2.2.0.4: Missing or invalid storage location (resume2= parameter).  Please correct and rerun lilo (or equivalent) before suspending.

With these strange messages in mind, I re-installed again but I used a special command at the boot: prompt. Pressing "F2" at the beginning of the CD install showed an boot option for "Broken BIOS". I typed the specified text at the boot:-prompt and continued the installation. There was no hang after "DHCP broadcast" and installation was fully completed. The "BIOS age" message during boot is now gone. However, the "suspend" message remains. The rest of the install/configuration went well and Knoppmyth is generally functioning as it should.

:?: What does "BIOS age fails cutoff" indicate?

:?: Were the "DHCP hang" and the "BIOS age cutoff" ACPI issue truly related?

:?: Was running the install with the "Broken BIOS" option a good idea?

:?: What does the "missing or invalid storage location" error message mean? How may I correct the issue?

Note: when I swap my old R5D1 hard drive back into the machine, it still works fine and none of the messages described above ever appear on the boot screen.