View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:25 pm 
This one is just strange to me. I ripped out the hard drive in my Windows box and put an old 80GB in there to install Knoppmyth. I first tried R5C7. After copying files to the new filesystem and rebooting, X comes up and a terminal window asks for the root password.

Every time I would press a key on the keyboard the resolution on the screen would change!!

Sometimes it would go to about 640x480, others more like 1280x768. But every time I pressed a key it would do this. And the password was not being entered. The mouse worked perfectly fine and I could launch another BASH prompt from the menu but still not type.

So I plugged in another keyboard and had the same problem. Next I said, the heck with R5C7 and installed R5E50. This time the keyboard would just not respond at all. I found a third keyboard, that I know works with Knoppmyth because I have it on another box. Still no response.
Then I even installed R5D1 but still get no keyboard response. I've rebooted without the mouse plugged in but still nothing.

The keybaords obviously work on the machine because I can get through the text part of the install process.

My mobo is Chaintech 7nif4 and in the WhatMoboYouUse page in the wiki two people say they use it.

I am bit new to Linux but have never seen anything like this.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am 
I thought I'd see if it were a Linux problem or a Knoppmyth problem, so I installed MythDora. The keyboard and mouse work just fine in that. So it is either a Knoppmyth issue or possibly a Debian/Knoppix issue. I guess next I'll install a plain Knoppix installation and then will surely know if it is a Knoppmyth problem. Of course any suggestions to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Thanks.