View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:24 am 
I'm trying out the Knoppmyth since I coudl not figure out how to get it reloaded after a crash blew out my perfectly good Ubuntu/Mythtv media center.

I have two 500GB SATA's both are in full working order if I use them in ubuntu and seen by bios and in fdisk in the Knoppmyth installer. When i attempt to install or partition in the installer I get this error :

Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write

Someone help I thought it was weird and I even opened a other linux distro and whiped the disk to free space.. same thing Formatted to ext3... same thing.

Anyone have any idea or am I wasting my time with Knoppmyth and SATA, I hoped that this would be much easier, but I have had issues so quickly. Any help is much appreciated .

_Edward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:33 am 
Sounds like you are cfdisk'ing the wrong device (specifically, the CD-ROM drive) - SATA appears as a SCSI device, what do you get if you
Code:
cfdisk /dev/sda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:04 am 
I am having the exact same problem on a new install. I have 2 brand new SATA HDs and the primary is a Seagate 250 Gig. They've both been recognized in BIOS posting.
I also have this message on the first menu screen and I don't know if there is any correlation:
Ivtv: Error -12 on initialization

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:00 pm 
I formatted the drives using cfdisk manually, to no avail... I am still getting some error message whether I use autoinstall or manual install. Can someone please help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:32 am 
karlec wrote:
I formatted the drives using cfdisk manually, to no avail... I am still getting some error message whether I use autoinstall or manual install. Can someone please help?
What error message? What steps have you taken, and at what point is the installation failing? Also please provide your hardware specs (motherboard, SATA controller, video, audio, etc.) as well as the version of KnoppMyth you are trying to install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:25 am 
Well I was able to fix that part and move on. My mistake was that (as I read on someone else's posting) I did not actually select the drive to install to by pressing the spacebar. i guess the install job assumed that I was using hda, my optical drive, and would give me the install message about unable to format hda.