View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Drive Config
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 am 
Let me start saying that this is my first attemp at a Linux based machine. I tring to figure out what my hard drive set up will be. What I have to work with are 2 WD Raptors @ 36 GIG each. On a windows based system I did a RAID 0 to create a 70 GIG boot/system drive.

Now with Linux Ive seen the LVM but I understand that an LVM drive can not be your boot drive. This being said Iwas think of just using one of the raptors as a boot/system drive and then get a large HD for stoarge that will be the first drive in the LVM setup. Is this a good idea our should I just make a RAID 0 to get the 70 GIGS? Or last would it just be best to get a new 80-120 GIG drive for boot/system?

Im just not sure what would work the best. I will be running the latest version of KnoppMyth. Right now all the drives are SATA and this box will be a back/fronend machine.

Thanks,
Staudie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:54 am 
Being that this is your first attempt at a Linux box, I would say you should stick with the single drive. It is possible to setup RAID 0 in the same way as windows but it isn't easy.
The RAID for a lot of SATA desktop computers is not true raid. Linux calls it fakeraid. If you want to know more, google is your friend. Look for dmraid and fakeraid.

Post subject: Re: Drive Config
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:56 pm 
Staudie wrote:
What I have to work with are 2 WD Raptors @ 36 GIG each. On a windows based system I did a RAID 0 to create a 70 GIG boot/system drive.
Are you using a hardware RAID solution? If so you shouldn't have a problem using both of the Raptors in RAID 0, assuming there are Linux drivers for your controller (In case I'm completely out of tune, those are SCSI drives, aren't they?) You will need to boot with the "expert" option I believe, as KnoppMyth will be looking for IDE. You would need to manually partition the drive, so this may be more than you bargained for on your first go-around with Linux.

If you have an IDE drive that you can use for testing I would recommend using that at first, just so you can get a taste for the installation process. Plus, if I remember correctly, those Raptors were pretty loud, weren't they? Noise from the system can be a big turnoff in an HTPC...