View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Stall on Boot
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:35 am 
hey all :) ( I think this is the right section, as i'm assuming somthings sour with my install)

Yesterday i finished building my PC for my media box, i burnt the CD and booted her up.

i ran the cd checker, which told me my cd had burned correctly. i then ran the auto install script, which installed the the only hard drive in the system- no problems

however on boot of KnoppMyth, it will load a full page , it then gets to "Checking Nvidia Driver installation"

Heres where the problem comes.

of the 10 times i have booted the pc, 3 times it has come up with a Text based login, only once did it actually stay for long enough for me to put my user in, but then like the rest of the time, it then went to

A blank black screen with a single _ in the top left corner, where it just hangs, the computer isnt spinning the HDD, it just sits there

ive tried two installs with the same issue

some background on the system:

AMD X2 3600 65W
1G DDR2 5400 (Corsair)
Abit NFM2S 6100 GFX SKT AM2
Seagate Momentus 80GB 2.5" SATA
A Happauge Freeview Tuner

no components are overheating, the only thing that may be an issue, is that the entire system is powered by a 250 Watt Twenty pin PSU, whereas the Mobo is 24 pin, however with a laptop HDD, a low wattage CPU, one stick of Ram, and a DVD drive, i cant see this sucking up too much juice- the mother board manual does say 20 pins are useable

and if the PSU was a problem, wouldnt the PC crash while KnoppMyth is being installed, as it was taxing every component?

Cheers guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:44 am 
Hi,
At boot: tv press enter.. the resolution may be going to high for your video tv forces 800x600
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:28 am 
mjl wrote:
Hi,
At boot: tv press enter.. the resolution may be going to high for your video tv forces 800x600
Mike

ahh, i did wonder about this, but usually the tv tells me if there is an issue

worked fine, now i have to work out what to do after logging in :P

*goes back to the documentation*

cheers :)

*edit*

ok prehaps it worked fine as a one off, because now its back to its old tricks >.<

this is after cd install btw, i never get a chance to type anything in, i assume you mean type TV into a console and press enter, i never get a chance

plugged it into my CRT, and its still coming up with the same, i have a strong feeling this may be the PSU >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:22 pm 
Hi,
Try letting it boot up, watch drive light get quiet. Then you should be able to obtain a console with alt F2 or ctl alt F2. Login as root.
nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
... go to almost the bottom and you should see "Depth 16" or "Depth 24" Go to the that line and delete the numbers before "1024x768"
alt x y to save press ctl alt bksp to restart xserver. you may have to remove the 1024x768 depends on your video.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:49 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,
Try letting it boot up, watch drive light get quiet. Then you should be able to obtain a console with alt F2 or ctl alt F2. Login as root.
nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
... go to almost the bottom and you should see "Depth 16" or "Depth 24" Go to the that line and delete the numbers before "1024x768"
alt x y to save press ctl alt bksp to restart xserver. you may have to remove the 1024x768 depends on your video.

Mike

ok tried that, waited for it to boot up, the light stopped blinking, and i pressed Alt-f2 and ctrl-alt-f2, unfortunatly the computer didnt respond- i dont think its a resolution problem, it still fails on my high res CRT

i also tried booting the pc with my main pc's 430w 24 pin psu, which didnt help

i'll install windows XP, and see if that boots correctly, if it does, its a linux problem, if it doesnt, its likely a hardware bug

:?

Edit:

ok windows booted A-Ok, so it must be a linux issue :S

prehaps my motherboard isnt linux freindly ? >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:36 pm 
Tainek wrote:
Perhaps. I know that the nVidia drivers in R5D1 don't play nice with my GeForce 6200LE, so I used an MX440 for installation, installed the newer nVidia drivers, then swapped the 440 out for the 6200.

What version of KnoppMyth are you playing with? You may get better results with the just-released R5F1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:49 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
Tainek wrote:
Perhaps. I know that the nVidia drivers in R5D1 don't play nice with my GeForce 6200LE, so I used an MX440 for installation, installed the newer nVidia drivers, then swapped the 440 out for the 6200.

What version of KnoppMyth are you playing with? You may get better results with the just-released R5F1.

Im using R5EI Atm

hmm, the only problem with that is that i dont have any PCI-E cards that arnt 8 Series, which means A: Huge (mATX) case , B: Require a PCI-E Connector, and C: No way in hell of running on a 250W PSU :p

prehaps i should try using an older version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:23 pm 
Tainek wrote:
Im using R5EI Atm
??? Please see http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13537 If you are using an E series you might want to download and try R5F1, which was just released yesterday - http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Tainek wrote:
hmm, the only problem with that is that i dont have any PCI-E cards that arnt 8 Series, which means A: Huge (mATX) case , B: Require a PCI-E Connector, and C: No way in hell of running on a 250W PSU :p

I don't know that the nVidia drivers in older versions of KnoppMyth would be any better. If all else fails you could boot from the CD, chroot to your drive and try setting your driver to vesa or installing newer nVidia drivers. Take a look through http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13110

EDIT: Also see http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... terInstall The wiki is a wealth of information... /EDIT

EDIT: Removed period from first URL /EDIT

Last edited by slowtolearn on Sat May 12, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
Tainek wrote:
Im using R5EI Atm
??? Please see http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13537. If you are using an E series you might want to download and try R5F1, which was just released yesterday - http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Tainek wrote:

I don't know that the nVidia drivers in older versions of KnoppMyth would be any better. If all else fails you could boot from the CD, chroot to your drive and try setting your driver to vesa or installing newer nVidia drivers. Take a look through http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13110

EDIT: Also see http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... terInstall The wiki is a wealth of information... /EDIT

DLing F right now, serves me right for downloading it the day before i got the PC, new version always comes out :P

i'll try an old and a new version, and if that fails i'll try the thread you mentioned

cheers guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:47 pm 
Don't miss the R5F1 hints and hazards posting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:20 pm 
tjc wrote:
Don't miss the R5F1 hints and hazards posting...

ok installed R5F1 , nothing gained (but nothing lost eh?)

i'll try the old one in the morning, but i'll likely end up going with whats in the thread ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:54 pm 
Sounds pretty much like your driver install and X configuration needs some help. This is basic post-install configuration. See the BlackScreenAfterInstall page that slowtolearn pointed you too. You may need to force the nvidia driver install. Also see the Tier 2 forums for other folks using that 6100 series chipset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:08 pm 
Hi,

Sorry, maybe my note was a bit cryptic :) I meant when installing, cd first boots up, and when it is at the boot prompt (Boot: ) enter tv then press enter. This forces 800x600 res for tv mode.

This can later be adjusted as needed and after proper drivers are made to work.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:40 am 
tjc wrote:
Sounds pretty much like your driver install and X configuration needs some help. This is basic post-install configuration. See the BlackScreenAfterInstall page that slowtolearn pointed you too. You may need to force the nvidia driver install. Also see the Tier 2 forums for other folks using that 6100 series chipset.

ok, well i searched, and couldnt find anyone having this specific issue with the 6100

but its definatly an X problem, i disabled it while following the guide:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13110

with startx renamed i can use the console without an issue, but unfortunatly that driver install didnt help :shock:

is there a different driver than that one i should use instead of
"nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-8776" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:34 am 
Tainek wrote:
but its definatly an X problem, i disabled it while following the guide:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13110

with startx renamed i can use the console without an issue, but unfortunatly that driver install didnt help :shock:

is there a different driver than that one i should use instead of
"nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-8776" ?
Uhm, I think you meant install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-8776 -force ?? If by "didn't help" you mean you received errors, you need to supply those as well.

The latest driver is 9755, try
Code:
install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-9755 -force

Go to page 1, 2  Next