View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:33 pm 
Hi,

I did a bad thing. I re-installed R5E50 and can't start the backend.

Why did I do this? After burning some DVD's my box was acting funny. I rebooted and was getting the "Xsession warning: unable to write to /tmp. X session may exit with an error" message.

This happened to me once before and I deleted a log file, but this time the log file was empty, and a search for this error did not lead me to the file I needed to delete. So, being late and being without air-conditioning I thought what the heck, I'll re-install, I remember reading its a way to fix things.

Well, it didn't quite turn out that way. I know I have a lashing coming. My penance will be to remake my Xorg.conf file. But I could really use some help getting the backend to see my old recordings.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:10 pm 
If you installed (which reformats all the partitions) you're as truly and thoroughly boned as cousin Boneless Chicken. Your recordings are gone.

If you did an upgrade without doing a backup first (and shame on you) you are probably only semi-boned but will need to do a fair amount of manual labor with myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and mythcommflag along with lossless transcoding to get them back in good shape. Searching for those names should turn up more detailed instructions.

Also before you do your next upgrade _PLEASE_ see the R5F1 (or other appropriate) hints thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:38 pm 
Actually I did an upgrade. I know the recordings are there because I saw them in the directory. I'll search for postings on that script. Something good may yet come of this. Thanks for responding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:25 pm 
Hi

If you did an upgrade were you very careful to use the same hostname? Things won't run if it is different.

Just edit /etc/hostname with the correct name and then reboot if that was your issue.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:47 pm 
Update:

1) myth.rebuilddatabase.pl is recovering my shows. However, each episode of a show seems to be getting its own "category" (not sure if that's the correct term.) For example, when viewing the list of recorded shows, "America's Test Kitchen" should ideally show up once in the left column and all the episodes in the right column. However, it seems every episode I've imported is creating another show entitled "America's Test Kitchen" so this title shows up repeatedly in the left column. Is this normal for a rebuild? Anything I can do about it?

*** EDIT - When it prompts for the title, type in the show name. Do it the SAME each time. Now to go fix all the ATK episodes...

2) Just for kicks I connected to my TV from my video card via DVI-HDMI cable. Amazingly, it seems to be working. I didn't even touch the xorg.conf file. There's some black banding on the top and bottom of the screen, but pressing the "w" key seems to take care of that. Some of the HD shows are choppy, so I'll post back when I get that fixed (or with questions for help.)

***EDIT - The black bars went away by setting the aspect ratio to 4/3. Now all shows are formatted properly. Setup->TV Settings->Playback
The DVI output is 800x600. Not quite HD, but better than SD. But not having to touch my modelines?....PRICELESS!

Another benefit is Xterm shows up in a larger window with larger fonts (Yes!) and text in general is much clearer than with component cables (Yes!).

Only downside is computer programs think the screen is larger than it is. So the window manager, firefox, the myth setup screens, etc, all appear with the sides cutoff. Its like X is expecting my TV to have another 5-10% of screen on all four sides. Is there an easy fix for this?

*** EDIT - got this fixed by PROPERLY upgrading to the lastest NVIDIA drivers. I made some mistakes the first time. However terminal mode still overscans quite a bit. I'll tackle that another day.

Thanks all for your help, I'm getting back in business, and may even tackle an upgrade soon (I'll make sure to backup first!)