View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: White Screen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:46 pm 
Hello,
I orginally fell victim to ZaptoIt labs and was forced to find a new source for TV listings. Thiis led me into upgrading Knoppmyth. Which led me into reinstalling Knoppmyth. I have been using Knoppmyth for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. My current problem is after the install completes and the system reboots I get a partially white screen and nothing else. After a few moments the screen goes blank and then comes back white. There is an error: "Id “c7″ respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes". It also appears as though onboard NIC is not being activated. The system seems to lock up and I am unable to log onto another console. This is the exact same system that has been working for a long time now. Any suggestiions are appreciated. I have no clue where to go with this. The hardware specs are listed below.

Hardware:
Shuttle PC SN85G4 FN85 mainboard NFORCE3 chipset
AMD ATHLON 64 2800+
SEAGATE 250GB SATA
512 MB ram
LITEON DVD/RW
HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR 350
AOPEN MX4000 video card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm 
I am not sure I that I see anything wrong in xorg.conf, but I'm not sure I know what to look for. Do you mind if I post the file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm 
Site Admin
No. Is the nvidia module loaded?
Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia

Post subject: Re: White Screen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:01 am 
balge454 wrote:
Hello,
I orginally fell victim to ZaptoIt labs and was forced to find a new source for TV listings. Thiis led me into upgrading Knoppmyth. Which led me into reinstalling Knoppmyth. I have been using Knoppmyth for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. My current problem is after the install completes and the system reboots I get a partially white screen and nothing else. After a few moments the screen goes blank and then comes back white. There is an error: "Id “c7″ respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes". It also appears as though onboard NIC is not being activated. The system seems to lock up and I am unable to log onto another console. This is the exact same system that has been working for a long time now. Any suggestiions are appreciated. I have no clue where to go with this. The hardware specs are listed below.

Hardware:
Shuttle PC SN85G4 FN85 mainboard NFORCE3 chipset
AMD ATHLON 64 2800+
SEAGATE 250GB SATA
512 MB ram
LITEON DVD/RW
HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR 350
AOPEN MX4000 video card

this was the same error - though producing only similar symptoms to a situation that happened to me here
http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

i had presumed that it was because the card wasnt detected by Humans script and the nvidia module didnt load.

was your card detected as a mx4000? or was it detected as nvidia unknown?

have you tried reinstalling the same version you had working previously?

of course, my situation is possibly not even vaguely related.. but i just wondered it might be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:01 am 
That's part of what Cecil was driving at with his request for diagnostic information. Having to force the driver install is not all that uncommon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:53 pm 
Hi,

Did I miss something, what versionof KM? Very important tid-bit of information. Did you select tv out during the install?

HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR 350

There are a few needed tricks to get tv out, so I always get things working with a monitor first. Then when all is setup and running like a well oiled machine, start with the 350 out settings (preserving a copy of the working xorg.conf) as a fall back.

Just to get xserver to run, if the xorg.conf Driver is "vesa" then it should work so you can do setups and tweaks. Note that not all features will work running the vesa driver. Once you are ready to advance then you will need to determine the proper driver for your card. I suspect the nvidia should work with MX4000.

You may want to check some of the entries in the various tiers to see if others may have had issues and glean knowledge from their travels.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 pm 
I am using KM R5F1

lsmod | grep nvidia produced the following output,

nvidia 4545108 0
agpgart 29656 2 nvidia, amd64_agp
i2c_core 20864 19 nvidia,i2c_ec,cx88_vp3054_i2c,cx88xx,saa7134_dvb,dvb_pll,saa7134,ir_kbd_i2c,tda1004x,dvb_bt8xx,bttv,saa7127,ivtv,saa7115,msp3400,tuner,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_nforce2

When logged in to tty2, the screen will periodically flash white with black lines and occasionaly i recieve the following error message.

“INIT: Id “c7″ respawning too fast: disabled for five minutes�

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:28 pm 
I found the problem. xorg.conf was configured for 3 mice. PS/2, USB and serial. I edited the file for the correct interface and now I'm back in business.