View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:00 pm 
I am using R5E50 now. I want to upgrade to R5F27. However, should I upgrade to R5F1 first and upgrade again to R5F27? Or, should I go directly from E50 to F27?

I know people in the forum have upgraded directly from R5E50 to R5F27, but I was curious if there is extra risk in skipping R5F1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:55 pm 
Shouldn't be. See the hints. Pay special attention to the bits about checking for multiple potentially confusing backups. If you have ivtv (pvr) cards pay attention to that stuff too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm 
I went straight from R5E50 to R5F27 with no issues. However, I had already upgraded ivtv on the R5E50 install so I didn't have to make any adjustments there.

tjc's hints post is really worth the time to read. There's a lot of information, and it really helps you understand what's going to happen in the upgrade. Given that the potential gotcha's are really the same whether you upgrade to R5F1 or R5F27, I don't think upgrading to R5F1 as an intermediate step will buy you anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 am 
I went straight from R5B7 (!) to R5F27 on 4 machines (1 auto update, 3 auto installs) yesterday. No major issues at all (I carefully followed the backup instructions from tjc). I haven't run into any snags that I haven't been able to overcome by searching this forum.

The only issues I ran into (so far) were:
    PVR250 remote non responsive
    X grabbed the serial port (for a non-existant mouse) when I needed it for lirc

Again, a big thanks to all who helped make this an amazingly smooth transition!

Allan

Hardware Specs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:15 am 
I went from r5e50 to r5f27 very easily.

My "problems" were the color depth got changed (didn't notice on tv playback, just on the menus) and the text in a number of the screens and desktop got really tiny (haven't fixed that yet). Also I watch a lot of shows with high-speed playback (1.15-1.2x regular speed) and I'm getting stuttering audio on certain shows. However, normal operations are working fine, the same as before.

So, you may get some quirks when you're done, but really you'll be working fine. Actually a nice side effect of this upgrade for me was upping my playback resolution via DVI/hdmi from 600p to 720p, without editing a single modeline! Of course getting my listings back via SD is nice too. So on the whole I'm glad I did it, and glad I did it directly to f27, and I think you'll be too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 pm 
mogator88 - I run across you again. Did you find the source of the audio stuttering during high speed playback? I ran across this same problem and it bums me out cuz I like watching 30 min Scrubs in 15 minutes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:46 pm 
No I didn't find the cause of it. However, transcoding seems to eliminate it. Please start a new thread next time, it will make it easier for others to pitch in their ideas and easier for others with the same problem to do a search for the answer.