View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:53 pm 
I attempted to upgrade from R5E50 to R5F27 without success.

I have been using a PVR350 s-video TV-Out. To perform the upgrade I attached a monitor but kept the TV hooked up to the PVR350.

I made backups and performed an auto upgrade. When the machine rebooted and I was asked to login, the screen went screwy and the menu never fully materialized, and I could not read the options so I had to reboot.

Upon subsequent reboots the monitor would only display the NVIDIA logo fullscreen (as this was hooked to the motherboard video), a clock and a cursor that wouldn't move. Upon multiple reboots and the clock stopped appearing as well as the cursor when I unhooked the mouse. I attempted a new auto upgrade and have never again been given the chance to login. I am not familiar with this NVIDIA logo screen and I don't remember seeing it before, but I don't usually have a monitor hooked up.

*********EDIT ****
It looks like I am having problems with my on board NVIDIA chipset, a Geforce2. Are legacy drivers included in the install? How do you install them? Do I need to get drivers from NVIDIA, and will they work enough for me to finish upgrading and get the PVR350 working??

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:12 pm 
Well I followed lots of instructions all over the place in order to try a couple of NVIDIA drivers so I can get on and finish upgrading.

First I followed all of the standard instructions to force upgrade the NVIDIA drivers to 9755, but I then got the init error and a some errors which said that I need the legacy drivers. Well I installed the legacy drivers from NVIDIA (9639) after compiling them (after installing and setting up the kernel source). Well now when I reboot into x-windows I get a NVIDIA logos screen and no response. If I disable x windows and just try to boot into console the screen gets all garbled.

I gave up on trying to get the NVIDIA to work in order to setup my machine for PVR 350 TV-out. To do this I simply ran the PVR 350 setup script in /usr/local/bin, rebooted and then I was able to do an .upgrade touch and it looks like I am much farther along. I am no finalizing my setup via the TV out and it works great. So if you have a PVR 350 and a Legacy NVIDIA onboard, skip trying to get the NVIDIA to work and just force the PVR-350 to install then go back and finish your upgrade.

Hope this helps someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:31 pm 
Site Admin
I doubt the 96xx legacy driver is what you want. I'd suggest install the 71xx modules instead. As root:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-7185

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 am 
I'm having issues with the nVidia drivers that shipped with R5F27 as per a nVidia forum message
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82141&page=3
There is a known issue with ver 9631, but it has been fixed with ver 96.43.01.
However the problem that I am having now is after setting up the kernel source and all and installing the new driver X will recover and works perfectly until a reboot, then X starts, the nVidia logo appears and then I have screen corruption and X hangs. No matter what I do X will not recover ... unless I re-install the driver ... any driver for that matter. Even the old one...

I have used the install-nvidia-debian.sh script and have a GF MX 440