View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm 
Mine is doing the same thing. Locking at 14% but I have an all IDE Dell Inspiron 1150. Any ideas for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 pm 
I think I figured out why. If I manually try to parition the drive I see it is configured as hdc and not hda. This is a laptop so I cant swap the cables. Please advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 am 
I had the same problem but managed to sort as suggested above by putting the HD on IDE1 and the DVD-ROM on IDE2. (they were the other way round)

I also set the HD to primary master using the jumpers and the DVD was on auto select.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 am 
The 14% issue is because the system can't write to the specified drive. There can be numerous reasons for this, but the most likely is that the drives don't have the names you expect them to. /dev/hda can actuallypoint to the optical drive, producing this error (been there, done that :oops: ). Surprising it can even reach 14%...
Try:
Code:
lvmdiskscan

This will produce a listing of all available drives in the system. The *nix hardheads may have better commands, but this works for me. See if you can identify your drives.

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:05 pm 
If I recall correctly, you probably have to do a manual install rather than the automatic. The manual lets you specify the install drive as other than hda.

I think that also means you have to manually partition the drive. And there, I can't help you much. I don't remember what the sizes should be for each of the three partitions.

Tough to actually make the partitions, in a fairly "I'm not a Linux Guru" way, the Gparted live CD turns that task into a friendly GUI. It's not unlike Partition Magic, but free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:46 am 
The problem is indeed that the install defaults to 'hda'. In my case this was the optical drive. Note that the manual install does not give any other options and the same issue will arise. The manual install did, however, state that the disk was read-only which is how I determined the problem. I tried Mythbuntu and it formatted and installed just fine.
I'm just glad 'hda' wasn't another HDD on my system that would've been wiped by a format when it wasn't supposed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 pm 
When installing KnoppMyth to a 200Gb IDE drive from the R5.5 CDROM, the installer locks up on the message "Formatting dev/hda1 as ext3" which is 14% along the progress bar.

To resolve, I swapped the IDE cables for HDD and CDROM drive.

Go to page Previous  1, 2