View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:37 pm 
Hi,

I am trying a fresh install of R5F27 on the machine in my sig. The install freezes every time at partitioning hard drive 14% complete.

This is a newly built computer. I did testcd and got no errors. I used Spinrite6 on this drive to be sure it was recognized correctly and had no defects. It had some seek errors, which I think are relatively normal, but no other problems.

Can anyone point me to some docs to help me figure out what to do next?

Thanks.

Trying to install KnoppMyth R5F27, ECS 671T-M, Celeron 430, 1gig RAM, 320gig SATA Seagate, Samsung SATA SH-S203N DVD drive, Onboard video and audio, DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite, Seasonic S12II-330watt PS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:53 pm 
Have you tested your RAM? The CD includes memtest and a good 24-48 hour soak with that should reveal any issues.

During one of the upgrades to my original box I managed to get a really tiny little flake of aluminum (from putting in and taking out locking screws) in one of my memory slots and which caused an intermittent short when the box warmed up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 pm 
I did memtest for about an hour, I can't remember if it was with Mythbuntu 7.10 or Knoppmyth. In that amount of time I didn't get any errors. One weird thing I noticed was it reported the processor as a Pentium II at 1800 mhz and didn't show the L2 cache size.

Right now Mythbuntu won't install either, the x server keeps crashing 6 times and then bluescreening and saying it will try again in 90 seconds. The guys on the Ubuntu forums are trying to help me figure out this one.

I'll start memtest tonight. Should I report back after 24 hours, or wait the full 48?

Thanks.

Trying to install KnoppMyth R5F27, ECS 671T-M, Celeron 430, 1gig RAM, 320gig SATA Seagate, Samsung SATA SH-S203N DVD drive, Onboard video and audio, DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite, Seasonic S12II-330watt PS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 pm 
You may also want to double check you BIOS settings, sounds like something isn't right there. As for the soak time, if it's dying formatting the drive, 24 hours should give you 95% confidence in the RAM.

Oh, don't forget to check your drive cables, connections, and jumpering. That's another really easy place to have problems with a recently built or modified box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:52 pm 
When I received this error, I noticed that I forgot to apply power to the HDD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:47 pm 
I memtested for 50 hours with no errors. And, I know my HD was working fine because spinrite had no problem validating it.

When I tried Mythdora, it didn't even recognize my HD. I looked through my MB's extremely poor manual and decided to try SATA-AHCI instead of SATA-IDE.

I tried Knoppmyth again. I would like to use it because I am most familiar with it. This time Knoppmyth didn't even get to formatting the HD, it hung at
Code:
Starting udev hot plug hardware detection

It looks like tjc was right about a BIOS config problem. Knoppmyth apparently won't work with all flavors of SATA-IDE conversion. But udev appears to conflict with SATA-AHCI. The only other option is SATA-RAID, but I figured I shouldn't select that unless I was actually setting a RAID up.

When I tried Mythdora again, it properly recognized my HD and the install went fine until it finished and rebooted for use. Then my TV started saying 'Invalid Format'. I guess I will continue on trying to figure out Mythdora. But if anyone has an idea on how to get Knoppmyth working on my computer I would be interested.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:44 am 
For what it's worth, I had similar issues where the install would hang at formatting 14%.

This was on an ABIT AV8 board with one IDE drive and one SATA drive. I tried two different IDE drives, but I was able to install after I removed the IDE drive and istalled directly to the SATA drive.

I had wanted to install to the IDE drive and set the SATA drive as the main storage location.

Post subject: Had the same problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 pm 
Got mine fixed by MAKING SURE that your hard drive is the first listed device (i.e. On the primary IDE interface as master)

I had the ROM on the primary channel and the HD on the secondary, no worky. Swapped them and install went without issue.

Hope that helps,
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:27 am 
Are your drives all IDE and you have no SATA drives?

I have a SATA hard drive on SATA0 and IDE DVD drive on IDE0. I'm pretty sure you can't have an IDE drive as slave with no master. I could try putting the DVD drive as master on IDE1 instead. Otherwise, I am not sure how I could fix this besides removing all IDE drives, buying a SATA DVD drive and putting it on SATA1.

When you say first listed device, is there a way to see how drives are listed? I'm wondering if my motherboard enumerates SATA drives after IDE drives and all IDE ports will have to be empty to use a SATA hard drive.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm 
something similar used to happen to me with an older release of knoppmyth when I had older hardware and the solution was to use the options "tv vga=normal" at the first prompt when the cd boots. Your issue is probably different, but it may be worth trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 am 
I agree with ifiwantedto.
It's the only time I've seen knoppmyth stop at 14%.

In my experience if your ide drive isn't set as master for either dvd or hd it won't play.

So, it may be because your ide dvd isn't on the master channel or you harddrive isn't on a master either. As your using an sata drive your bios should hopefully see the drive. I don't think sata is fussy about which socket you plug it into. However, in your BIOS you should have a page that details your boot order. On my systems here (I've several old AMD systems and two intel systems) you can select the boot order/priority by highlighting the item with your cursor keys and pressing enter. I would expect you'd see a pop up of all bootable devices.

Its likely the first boot option is for a floppy drive. Once you have selected this you should see your hard drive listed there. Put this first, your dvd rom as the second option in the next slot. - As there is no operating system on your harddrive, it'll default to the dvd rom. All my systems atm are ide dvd + sata in various flavours.

It should just work thereafter. Hopefully! Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 pm 
I have seen this installation problem as well. On my newer ASUS motherboard (ASUS P5K-V), if SATA drives are present or not/enabled in the BIOS or disabled, the PATA (IDE) drive come up as hde. The KM installer assumes hda. My solution was to get and install on SATA drive.

Hauppauge PVR-350, IR Blaster, Comcast Digital Cable
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KnoppMyth/
KnoppMyth R5F27 >> R5.5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:58 pm 
choos the manual way and do 4 partition and the do some lilo tricks see link:

http://w2.eff.org/IP/broadcastflag/cook ... .php#step3

and

http://www.knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=104333

it's not for starters in using linux

Regards,
kge72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 am 
So I decided to burn another $30 on my brand new non-functional Myth hardware to see if I could resuscitate it... and got nowhere.

I decided to get rid of all IDE drives, disable the IDE in BIOS, and use a new SATA DVD drive in SATA1 (HD is still in SATA0). I have made no other changes to hardware or BIOS since my previous failures.

Now no matter what SATA BIOS option I use (IDE, RAID, or AHCI), after running Knoppmyth installer, it looks for firewire/usb devices, then it says
Code:
Unable to find Knoppix file system.  Dropping into a (very limited) shell

And it lists a few commands available. I can't even get to the hanging at 14% formatting anymore.

Mythbuntu still crashes the x-server repeatedly on install, and Mythdora installs and reboots and runs through a couple commands before the tv signal stops. Tomorrow night hopefully I will have enough energy and rapidly dwindling interest to try the tv vga = normal and maybe one stab at a manual install (that looks to be a royal pain).

After that, I may purchase the Dragon video card, and if that doesn't get my Mythbox working, I guess I'll try one of the Windows (yuck) Media Center options. Any more thoughts on what to try would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 am 
That MB entered production July 2007. R5F27 was released 2 months later. There is a good chance you are missing drivers. Unless there is a problem with your BIOS settings, you may need to wait for a newer release of knoppmyth.

It looks like you are closer with mythbuntu. The error you mention is because the X server is not starting. When you get the prompt, try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and pick the vesa drivers.

If that gets you going, take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-615094.html
I believe your MB uses the SiS 671 chipset, so the listed video driver might improve things.

.... Just skimming the above reference. There is also mention of the boot options "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to get through the install freezing. This might help with knoppmyth.

Good Luck,

Allen

Go to page 1, 2  Next