View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:07 pm 
So, I hate to enter a new community with a problem, but here I am. My cousin just talked me into trying Linux today and it seems that I had enough parts laying around to build another computer. The Motehrboard I have is an Abit AT7, which doesn't have any support for legacy/PS/2 devices. Since I don't have any spare usb keyboard laying around, I plug a legacy keyboard into a converter and then a USB port. It seems to work for the initial boot, but at the screen where you can select different install options I no longer have a functioning keyboard. The lights on the keyboard occasionaly blink, but thats it. Any tricks?

Thanks

EDIT:
I stole my wifes usb keyboard to avoid the converter, same results. How do I make usb stuff work before installing?

Another EDIT:
I tried unplugging and plugging in the keyboard at various times during the boot, plugging in another keyboard, and verifying the bios settings, no progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:45 pm 
Site Admin
Check your BIOS, look for legacy keyboard. That is about all I can think of... USB keyboards should work without issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 pm 
went throught the bios a couple times... only thing I could find was 'support USB on startup' or something like that. It was set to 'BIOS' so I changed it to 'OS' as that was the only option. It wouldn't even boot then so I had to clear and reset the bios to 'Bios'.

EDIT:

If you say Bios in your head enough times it really starts sounding weird. Buy OSS. Be Os. Bios bios bios. ....sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:24 pm 
Hi,

What version are experimenting with? R5F27 would be the lastest release and it does work very well (at least for me :) )

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 pm 
oops. Yes, I am using R5F27.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:16 pm 
Hi,

Then possibly suspect your converter module. I have two different vendors, Belkin & APC which both work without issues on a Gateway (usb only box) as well as anything I plugged them into, so far. That's for both kybd & mouse.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01 pm 
well, it worked fine on the last build, and works at boot (when you hit enter). As it's initializing the install (or whatever it does) before the menu of choices pops up the usb looses power. About the same time the screen reads 'searching for USB Devices'. After that I can't do anything except reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:43 am 
beefy wrote:
went throught the bios a couple times... only thing I could find was 'support USB on startup' or something like that. It was set to 'BIOS' so I changed it to 'OS' as that was the only option. It wouldn't even boot then so I had to clear and reset the bios to 'Bios'.

EDIT:

If you say Bios in your head enough times it really starts sounding weird. Buy OSS. Be Os. Bios bios bios. ....sorry.

Given that you even HAVE that option on a MB that doesn't have PS/2 ports; you may want to check with Abit and see if there's a newer BIOS for your board. As you noticed, once you set the option to "OS" there's no going back except for a reset, because BIOS doesn't see the keyboard any more. It's basically a "Kiss BIOS access goodbye" option.

If you want to try this again, before you change the keyboard support back to OS, also look for "Halt on" or something to that effect. change from "All Errors" to "All except keyboard" and it should get you further than last time. You couldn't boot because BIOS no longer recognized the USB keyboard, and wouldn't boot without a keyboard. The change to the "Halt on" option lets it boot without a recognized keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 am 
I have heard of some people having success by unplugging and then plugging back in the keyboard. You may want to try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 am 
jmckeown2 wrote:
If you want to try this again, before you change the keyboard support back to OS, also look for "Halt on" or something to that effect. change from "All Errors" to "All except keyboard" and it should get you further than last time. You couldn't boot because BIOS no longer recognized the USB keyboard, and wouldn't boot without a keyboard. The change to the "Halt on" option lets it boot without a recognized keyboard.

I did see a 'halt on' option, I didn't mess with it though. I'll try messing witha few of those options tonight.

I saw the tip about unplugging and plugging back in during boot, tried it many different times but haven't got it working yet.