View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
Hello all, I am a long time myth user, and I have really had it with the half-day to two-day upgrades, dependency hell, and ten thousand ways to configure things I've had on my Myth installation with Gentoo. So I thought I would trash it all (delete everything) and install KnoppMyth to make things easier.

I've burned a KnoppMyth R5F27 CD, insert it into my PC, and boot. I type "tv" at the boot prompt, because I have both a high-def TV connected via DVI and a regular monitor on the VGA port (for now; later I'll ditch the monitor).

Anyway, I don't get very far. After it enables DMA on my two hard drives and my DVD drive, I see:

Code:
Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc

And it doesn't continue. Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this so that I might install KnoppMyth? A quick search of this forum doesn't reveal much on this one. Thanks in advance

I have:

GF 6200
P4 2.6 GHz
Via motherboard
two hard drives (one will be for recorded TV and one for boot/kernel/installed programs/everything else.
HD-3000 MPEG2 capture card hooked up to a regular antenna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:00 pm 
Hi, welcome aboard.

I have had some funny things happen with a bad burn/CD. Did you verify that the disk is good? Also you might check the other options for install, to see if they apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:08 am 
Hi,

I think you are going to have some work in a manual mode because of the two drives.

Install looks for the cd on hdc so maybe want to check the drive is being seen that way at boot time. If not change the jumper on the cd drive to be a master (of the second ide port)

Also if you going to be trying for hd, just press enter with out the tv. Tv forces 800x600 and you will need more than that.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:23 am 
Yes, I've tried burning the CD twice. I verified my ISO download using the MD5, but I cannot run testcd due to the same problem as above. I will try running testcd on my other PC.

mjl wrote:
Hi,

I think you are going to have some work in a manual mode because of the two drives.

Install looks for the cd on hdc so maybe want to check the drive is being seen that way at boot time. If not change the jumper on the cd drive to be a master (of the second ide port)

Also if you going to be trying for hd, just press enter with out the tv. Tv forces 800x600 and you will need more than that.

Mike

I was planning for manual mode, but I was hoping the only "strange" thing I will do is the partitioning. Do you have anything I should look out for?

Shall I force it to 1280x720, which is what worked on my TV? Previously, I needed to use a specific modeline, which I have. I was planning to change my xorg.conf after install for this. Is there any reason I have to have the TV working during install? If so, should I just use 640x480 since that should work on the TV regardless of timings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:45 am 
OKay, I tried the CD on my main computer, supplied "knoppmyth testcd" and it booted well, and did several minutes of tests. It looks like it was starting to load modules when I got:
Code:
udevd_event[2661]: run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
This seems like an unrelated issue, but getting past the "Accessing KNOPPIX CD" point and passing some tests tells me the CD is fine.

So what could I do on my PC to narrow down the issue? Yes, the hard drives are both on primary IDE, and the CD drive is on secondary master, coming up as /dev/hdc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:49 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Also you might check the other options for install, to see if they apply.

Where can I find out how to do that? I have a (kind-of) working gentoo build now, so is there a way to install a Knopp-Myth "boot stub" and then repartition/etc without a CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:46 pm 
Hi,

I would try dropping back to only one drive on the primary bus. Some of the detection scripts might be getting a headache working with two drives at once.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:28 pm 
OK, I installed a different CD drive and it worked now, but I have a new question. I'll start a new thread.