View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Disk Partitions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:10 pm 
I am trying to install R3, and can't get past the format disk section. The script will not give me more than the format disk, and quit menu options.

I am attempting to install on an Asus Pundit with 2xPVR250's and a 200Gig drive. I tried it the default way of: 1-2000, 2-256, 3-5000, 4-remaining disk space and it wont work. I would like it make some of the partitions a little larger to work with the PVR250's and give more room for growth.

Here is how I would like it and another way I have tried: 1-10,000, 2-2000, 3-50,000, 4-remaining disk space.

What is the script looking for that it won't allow me to continue? I have even reboot and tried to come back into it without any luck.

KevG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:35 pm 
Xiadix,

Take a look at:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19

You can make the partitions any size you choose the numbers I have in the manual are just suggestions. Are you aware that KnoppMyth currently doesn't suppose the PVR-250 out the box? You'll have to install the IVTV drivers yourself. You shouldn't have a problem.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:39 am 
Hi cesman.

I have the same prob:

Only 2 points after "knoppix-installer":
No way to "quit" -> for half a second the screen will switch but i can't read the message and then it returns to the installing screen.

I tried all the things you wrote in your answer to Xiadix - no way.
Maybe the prob occurs by my CD-drive? It's a NEC ND-1300A (DVD R/RW & CD R/RW). I have no other drive at the moment so I have to wait until next week to check it out.
I also tried to be "tricky" 8) : After reboot and controling the partition table, I made input "/KNOPPIX/knoppmyth" on tty2 to get the config. Result: acces permittet :(

steps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:32 pm 
I tried the fdisk /mbr and that did work. I tried re-partitioning with a different linux distro, still no luck. I just tried installing Win98, but haven't gone back to see if it works or not. The next thing I will try is doing a low-level format, but I have to burn that floppy to a CD, since the Pundit doesn't have a floppy drive. I don't know what else to try after that.

KevG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:11 pm 
Partial good news:
After installing Red Hat 9 again, I changed my graphic-card and then started KnoppMyth install again.
1. Monitor didn't flicker any more (2 MB ain't enough RAM for graphic ?!)
1a. I saw "TUX" on start-screen (didn't see it with the other gra-ca)
2. I saw the six installation points!
Re-partioned the disk and all seems okay. But, if I made partitions hda3 and 4 ready for ext3, the screen gave thousends off errors (i.e. "Not enough disk space"). After a while I got back my prompt and reboot - the only thing happened was the boot-info "GRUB" and system hang...
Okay, just started installation-CD to check partition-table: only 2 points ("partitioning" and "quit") in the menu...
Will try again later on, now it's time to start (serious) work

'til tonight

steps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:23 am 
Hi All,
I've been struggling with this aswell.
As reported elseware (on the Knoppix forum) the script will only give you the six options on the install menu if it auto detects a linux swap partition.
After having tried several things I have found the easiest way to get started is to set up the first two partitions using another program. I have been using partition magic but I have also seen it reported that you can use the first Redhat install CD. The Redhat option might be better as I imgine it can setup ext3 partitions directly.
I have setup hda1 as a 2GB ext2 partition and hda2 as a 256MB swap partition. Then I boot the knoppmyth cd and use the partition option to setup the other two partitions. After writing the partition table it always tells me 'written table but can't read back' or similar and so I reboot at this point.
After that I have all four partitions and can continue with the installation.
Then I get loads and loads of errors! I think it's just that I'm using a CDRW and my drive can't handle it but time will tell :)
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:48 am 
I had all these same issue. I give some of the details in the Tier 1 post about Hardware makes all the difference. My first motherboard, a Chaintech Nforce2 board had lot of problems. The little "TUX" guy did not appear. I did not know it even existed until I returned that board and got a new one. In that case it had everything to do with the graphics chips. Strange thing is that my new board is an ASUS Nforce2 board as well. It boots up in a higher resolution that the Chaintech one. So, it clearly showed that even boards with Nforce2 and Geforce MX440 onboard video can have different setups.

To solve the partition issue, I installed Red Hat 9(although Red Hat would hang during install - took a couple of trys to get past the partition step). Then went back and installed Knoppmyth. I did do the partition step. This time it went back and gave me all the menu options. The first install attempt gave me errors but completed. I was not able to do the mk2efs step - got he sparse_super invalid error. It also hung at boot with the GRUB text sitting there. Multiple reboots eventually would get past this. I ended up repeating the install - redoing the partitions, and things worked. It was pretty strange - sometimes I could do thing, sometimes I couldn't.

In the end, replacing the brand new Chaintech board with an ASUS board, higher end memory, and a new CPU solved all my problems. After putting the new parts into the system I started the install from scratch. This time through as mentioned I saw the little penguin, the resolution was smaller, and things just hummed along. It was a completely different experience. No hangups, no freezes, it just worked. Everything worked as the guide said. I have since been recording shows, watching TV, and loving Myth!

If you are having these problems, hang in there - it will work out. The install truly does work. Linux and the drivers for video etc, just seem picky...

Can't wait for release R4 - want to get a remote control working!

(It would also be cool to have an R4beta - which included the latest CVS code for those wanting to try out new features and keep up with bug fixes. Just a thought)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:07 am 
Site Admin
stevew wrote:
Hi All,
Then I get loads and loads of errors! I think it's just that I'm using a CDRW and my drive can't handle it but time will tell :)
Steve

Are these cloop errors? If so, you may have a bad burn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:26 pm 
Aha!
You guessed it :D
CD-R time!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:20 pm 
@All,

You can try this, which will effectively wipe out the complete master boot record of your hard disk.
After you boot from your KnoppMyth CD, switch console <ALT+F2> and type:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=10000

- WARNING - The command above will wipe out your primary hard disk :!:
Use it only if you intend to make a new installation.
After that is done, run cfdisk and make your four partitions.
Then, format them:
mke2fs /dev/hda1
mke2fs /dev/hda2
mke2fs /dev/hda4
( I assume you set hda2 as swap, so leave it alone. )
Now reboot your machine and run KnoppMyth installer again. It should now show all six (6) options on the install menu, instead of 2.

Hope this helps.
-kwag

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:51 pm 
Hi kwag.

Very nice idea! I'll try tomorrow (after downloading R4 8) ).

steps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:29 am 
Hello ;)
Today I tried to install the KnoppMyth Distr but I only see 2 points in the manual installation. On my hd I have a big partition filled with movies and I won't delete that partition. Is there a way to get KnoppMyth on the HD? This is my partition table:

/dev/hda1 ext2 2gig
/dev/hda3 swap 300mb
/dev/hda2 ext3 77gig

I also edit the config file and saved it under /.knofig but the installer won't select that file.
You wrote in the Manual:
Load config
Use a configuration path of /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth
But where can I load it?
Is there any solution to solve my problem?

thx,
Rene[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:07 pm 
You can do a manual install and have it install to hda1. You don't have to load anything else. After rebooting you'll be asked for your root password, enter an incorrect password. Open an Xterm
Code:
rm -fr .configure
You'll be on your own in terms of configuration. Here is a link to the old docs:http://mysettopbox.tv/INSTALL.txt You'll want to start below:mkmythdir

Good luck,
cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:44 pm 
I did a manual install last night on a brand new drive and ran into the same problem as everyone else with it only giving you the 2 options, but managed to get out of it and get all 6 options to continue with the install:

1) Did partitions as per instructions (or in my case a little bigger as I had a big disk), only had 2 options.
2) Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a new term
3) mke2fs on /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4 as per instructions. I also did it on /dev/hda1 but then found this gets overwritten later in the process so no need. Still only had 2 options.
4) Not sure if this is needed or not, but I wrote an MBR with "install-mbr /dev/hda". Still only had 2 options.
5) What fixed it for me was to make /dev/hda2 swappable with "mkswap /dev/hda2" and when I rebooted I had all 6 options and could continue the install!

It seems the script needs more than a partition marked as Linux Swap, it needs it to be able to be actually usable for swap.

Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:05 pm 
My problem is that I've already my big & full data-partition (77gig) as device /dev/hda2! Is there a way in Linux to change this device names, that I can start the KnoppMyth Install Script?
Maybe I found a bug: I can't switch the Locations and the Date/Time befor the 2 options apear.

Rene