View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 pm 
Hey all,

I'm quite new here... I purchased a system to turn into a MythTV box recently and after a few days of trying out MythBuntu decided to try KnoppMyth. The big problem however is that I can't even get it installed to where it will boot correctly.

Here is the situation:

Machine:
Shuttle K45 case with Shuttle motherboard (north bridge: Intel 945GC south bridge: ICH7)
Intel Celeron L 430 Conroe (1.8 GHz)
1 GB memory
1 TB Western Digital SATA HD
Hauppauge PVR 350 capture card

During installation, the system pauses forever on the "starting udev" line. Eventually (4 or 5 minutes), it will continue into installation.

I manually went through the install, including partitioning the disk with the appropriate file type, journaling etc in accordance to the KnoppMyth install manual. I proceeded to do the installation and it completes to the screen where it says "KnoppMyth has installed successfully" (or whatever the wording is). I notice at this point that it gives a shell prompt instead of rebooting... which is different than the manual, but no big deal.

I type "reboot" and it starts a reboot.

At this point, it will hang in one of many places. It will hang sometimes at the IVTV initialization (but will eventually continue), but always hangs at the "bttv: Using 8 buffers..." line and will not continue.

I have tried rebooting with noacpi, as well as with intelfix - neither of which have made a difference.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I can't even evaluate the system at this point.

Thank you,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:19 pm 
Just some things to try...

If you have another slot try moving the PVR-350 into another slot.

Remove / turn off as much hardware (audio, network, usb, etc.) as you
can to narrow down the issue.

Try moving the PVR-350 into another PC and do a test install there.

Try running it with the case open in a cooler room and with a table fan
blowing into the case.

Try removing the PVR-350 and see if it will install then.

Try underclocking various components in the BIOS settings.

Run memtest for 24 hours.

Boot Knoppix or Ubuntu (maybe even a quick hard drive install) and see
if is flaky at all.

Is any of the hardware suspect (like used or free or old)?

Look at the SMART on your hard drive (/dev/hda assumed); boot Knoppix
and run:
Code:
smartctl -t short /dev/hda
and wait however long it says then run:
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/hda
and look for anything fishy.

There was a flaky audio issue many versions of ivtv (PVR-350 drivers)
ago, but I recall they should be fixed. The best work around was to
blacklist the PVR-350 audio output driver (which you don't use anyway).

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 pm 
Hi,

Doing a manual install does not do a few steps as it assumes a level of knowledge slightly beyond new. I would suggest to simply do an auto install, get everything tweaked & tuned to your liking then do a backup.

Now for what ever plan you had with the partitioning can still be done by using gparted. There is a live cd version of it which will gracefully allow you to resize partitions, squeeze the swap to be of your prefernce in size, move the myth partition to absorb free space. You can take a little space off of the high end of the myth partition for spare storage space & format that little chunk.

I don't know what your end goal is but maybe this will give you some ideas to try.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:19 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

Doing a manual install does not do a few steps as it assumes a level of knowledge slightly beyond new. I would suggest to simply do an auto install, get everything tweaked & tuned to your liking then do a backup.

I was under the impression that if you had SATA drives, you HAD to do a manual install? Is that not the case?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:24 pm 
I should also add that I had this system up and running with MythBuntu, so I know the hardware and such works. I just had a few issues with some jitter that I had read was because of some of the extras that Ubuntu installs. I was wanting to try Knoppmyth because it is supposedly cleaner, smaller and less fickle in performance.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:34 pm 
Hi,

My Bad,I missed that some where along the way. I don't recall if R5F27 auto works with sata as I only rarely have that oppertunity to work with them.

Try it as I don't recall for sure. I do know in earlier versions that was true.

Basically when you do a manual install, lilo is not installed and also has to be manually done so it can boot.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Jayco wrote:
I was under the impression that if you had SATA drives, you HAD to do a manual install? Is that not the case?
No, it isn't. PM me if you'd like to try the RC of the next release (Unless I release it before I get your PM).