View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:35 am 
Well, since there's a new version that Cecil and crew worked on (Thank you) I thought I might as well upgrade my hardware as well. I built my own copy of the Dragon 2.0 (see signature), and went to install it the software, but the X org video display is not working. It appears to install correctly, but at the point when it's going to start up X it begins the process and then the monitor just turns off.

The Gfx is a XFX 7600 GS PCI-E. Hmm, so I put in a Nvidia 5200 PCI I had laying around and booted to that... same thing... it boots up and then before X starts it the monitor just turns off. Odd, so I tired booting to Knoppix 5.1.1 and the same results.

However, if I boot up the Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD to the on board Intel display adapter it X starts and I get the desktop. So, this is very odd. I thought by going with the Dragon 2.0 type of hardware I would have few problems. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this further.

Is there just something wrong with the motherboard? I briefly tried installing Windows XP sp2 and it won't go to the desktop either. The monitor doesn't turn off, but there's no display. I tried connecting the cable to every video connector to see if it just enabled a different connector for some reason, but no. When the monitor turns off I can still ping the machine from another machine. I can also start it up to run level 3, so that they graphics display won’t start. i.e. from Lilo: Linux 3

Any thoughts? I’ll post dmesg or anything else anyone thinks would be helpful.
TIA

MB: Intel DG965WH
CPU: Intel Q6700
Mem: 4GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
Tuner: none/PVR-350
GFx: Nvidia XFX 7600 GS
Audio: on board
FE:
Evo 510 SFF w/ Nvida 6200
Remote: ATI Remote Wonder w/ kernel mod fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 am 
Just an uneducated guess, but have you tried disabling the on-board video in bios? I presume that the only time that you tried the on-board video was with Knoppix 5.1.1 and it worked. Did you try the on-board video with KM?

Post subject: disable onboard video
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
I don't know if the bios has a "disable" onboard video option. Just from (my) memory the bios options are "auto" as in auto detect the video choose one are you can specify either on board video, Pci-e or ext-pci video and it'll boot up with whatever one you tell it to.

I didn’t try to wipe out the Knoppmyth install and re-install without any PCI-E or PCI video card installed because I read that the onboard video isn’t or at least didn’t used to be supported under Knoppmyth. I could give that a shot though just for the heck of it though. I tried installing Windows with similar problems though. I’ll test out different scenarios and post the results to see if that would help with the troubleshooting.

I also tried the last bios for the board from Intel (version: 1738 6/17/2008) and the previous version (version 1729 3/26/2008) as well. The board had a version from 2006 on it, but I upgraded it before putting Knoppmyth on the system. I don’t know if the bios version has anything to with it. Is there a bios version for the Dragon 2.0 that’s tried and true, so that I can eliminate that variable? TIA.

FE:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:58 pm 
bwd283 wrote:
at the point when it's going to start up X it begins the process and then the monitor just turns off.

Any chance you forgot to connect the PCIE power cable on the mobo? It connects at the rear RHS and is a four pin thing. The symptoms you describe match what I'd expect if you'd (not) done this. I've done it myself :-)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:30 am 
Not sure if this is the same problem, but I had issues with a new 7600GS in my system with R5.5. Turned out there is some kind of bug in the Nvidia driver installation script. Removed the script from startup using

Code:
rm /etc/rc?.d/*install-nvidia-debian

and everything worked properly. You may need to force the driver install if it hasn't installed.

Full details on my problem are here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Just something else to consider.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:21 pm 
manicmike wrote:
bwd283 wrote:
at the point when it's going to start up X it begins the process and then the monitor just turns off.

Any chance you forgot to connect the PCIE power cable on the mobo? It connects at the rear RHS and is a four pin thing. The symptoms you describe match what I'd expect if you'd (not) done this. I've done it myself :-)

Mike

Hmm, thanks for the idea, but I checked and everything appears to be plugged in. The 2x2 power connector is in the mainboard and the XFX 7600GS video card doesn't require the additional PCI-E power connector (6 pin) as it doesn't have anywhere to plug it in.

FE:

Post subject: Success...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:25 pm 
Well, it seems to be working now. I don't know what I did differently. In the bios I specified the PCI-E card, but then it wouldn't get through the udev portion. I put it back on Auto (which I tried before) and it seems to have worked. I started it up with the dragon2 option.

Does the dragon2 option to install accept the TV option?

i.e. dragon2 tv as the TV I'm using right now is a POS, so I still need the settings for the low resolution.

Thanks for all the help. :)

FE:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:41 pm 
FYI, all the BIOS settings we make for Dragon 2.0 systems are listed on these two pages:

http://mythic.tv/DragonInstallationGuide.html
http://mythic.tv/PurchasedDragonInstallationGuide.html

I have never tested installing a Dragon 2.0 system with the 'tv' option because Dragon is an HDTV system :)