View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:31 pm 
Like many, I imagine, I'd like to upgrade to 5.5 to get out from under a potential LVM disaster. I'd also like to simultaneously take the opportunity to switch/upgrade hardware.

Currently: R5F27, K6-2 sysetm, PVR150, and LVM for /myth.
Minimum goal: R5.5, P3 system, PVR150, and new HD for /myth.
Preferably I'd also like XFS, but ext3 if downsides are too great, and a 'new' (one of the current LVM drives) primary drive too.

Finding http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18482 and http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18371 guided me to plan:
Install and format new drive to XFS.
Copy or move contents of /myth to new drive (rsync, cp, or other?).
Break/deconstruct LVM, remove drives.
Run backup script.*
Copy/move root/primary drive to one of the existing LVM drives with G4L or similar.**
Move the 2 new drives to the 'new' hardware and auto-upgrade.

How does this look? Will it work?
Is it better/safer to switch to XFS before or after the upgrade?

*How does an R5F27 install get the new backup script that's in R5.5?
apt-get? It doesn't-the backup scripts must be a step ahead of the next version.?
**Would I even really need to do this, if all important information is in /myth/backup ?

-Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:28 pm 
That sounds like a wonderful recipe for disaster! :D

(Run backup should happen _FIRST_.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 pm 
Quote:
That sounds like a wonderful recipe for disaster! :D

Seriously?
Maybe I should have added more detail..;
The LVM is taking all 4 drives, so there is no slot to put a new drive. I must delete files and reduce/deconstruct the LVM by 1 drive to be able to put in a new drive and escape LVM, right? I'd have more room in the newer PC, but transferring a logical volume (or would it be a volume group in this case?) from one PC to another sounds like trouble to me. I guess I'm getting out from LVM before the actual upgrade, answering my own primary question, and this should provide the backup & restore scripts something cleaner to work with, right?

So, after some thought, how's this?:
A1. Removing smallest drive in LVM
A2. Installing and formatting new drive to XFS
A3. Moving /myth from LVM to new drive
A4. Verifying backend still works, maybe even recording a show to test.
B1. Start the actual upgrade with backup script.
B2. Move root to another (newer & faster) drive with G4L
B3. Move the 2 new drives to the newer hardware and auto-upgrade, following hints doc.
C1. Auto-upgrade frontend
C2. Explore new options, including adding old LVM drives back to new backend via storage groups.

Is the consensus that XFS is safe enough? (seems to be..)
Are the XFS libs newer in 5.5, and would that make it better to switch to XFS after the upgrade?
Do y'all prefer cp, rsync, or what? ..doesn't seem to be a consensus on this.
How does an R5F27 install get the new backup script that's in R5.5?
Do I even really need to do B2, if all the upgrade process needs is in /myth/backup?
Should I use G4L, or something else?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:25 pm 
Make the backup first using the standard script.

Then format the new drive (including creating the FS of your choice), mount it, and copy the contents of /myth (including the fresh backup) over. There are any number of ways to do this but using something like cp -ax /myth /newmyth is probably the easiest.

Don't even start mucking about with the LVM until you've made the backup and copied it somewhere safe.

I'm struggling with what you're thinking here... Do you not have enough physical connections to accommodate the new drive?

As for moving your root partition to a new drive, most of the raw image copying stuff people seem obsessed with is more likely to be counterproductive than helpful. The same technique apply here. Format the drive, copy the files, and finally the one extra step, install the boot loader. This is really simple stuff when you get down to it.

If you're going to upgrade at the same time you don't even need to do the lilo install. Simply edit the copy of /etc/fstab on the new root to point to your new /myth drive (presumably /dev/sdb1) and then rearrange the drive connections so that you new root disk is /dev/sda and the new myth drives is /dev/sdb and do an auto-upgrade from the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:18 pm 
Quote:
I'm struggling with what you're thinking here... Do you not have enough physical connections to accommodate the new drive?

Correct, I did not. I've done A1 (removed a drive from the LVM group) now, and all is good, so I have a free spot.
Now I guess I decide which FS and which options....

Not-directly-related-to-upgrading-question: With storage groups, is there a function or utility to move files/recordings around?
... As in, if I choose ext3 for the new drive now (to stay safe), then add one of those ex-LVM drives back via storage groups in the future, but choose xfs for it, could I move recordings to it manually (to see how it does), or do I have to just let Myth manage where they go?

Quote:
The same technique apply here.

The same cp -ax source dest. ?

Quote:
If you're going to upgrade at the same time you don't even need to do the lilo install.

Because the auto-upgrade will install it? Good. :)

Thanks