View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:43 pm 
Hi, All.

So, I got knoppmyth 5.5 mostly installed. Watching TV came up fine, but I had to change channels through my TV remote instead of myth. I tracked down a chchange.sh program and put it in the external channel change command and it worked fine.

However, right after I re-booted, I got snow / gray fuzz / etc. when I tried to watch TV. So it was definitely working before the reboot, but now is definitely not.

I'm using commandIR and it worked out of the box. I can post other details if that will help as well.

Thanks!
GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:55 pm 
Are you connecting from the cable/sat box via S-Video, Composite (yellow RCA phono), or Co-ax? For co-ax you need to be sure to specify the appropriate channel preset for the tuner.

Also, some cards need a kick at startup via the /etc/init.d/set_ivtv_params init script. If you search for "set_ivtv_params" (require all terms!) you should find the setup directions pretty quickly. E.g - Like the R5F27 Hints here: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16384

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:58 am 
I've had the same problem (with R5F27) since I switched to Co-ax. My "solution" is to temporary go into mythtv-setup, remove the reference to the channel change scripts (under Input Connections), watch live TV and switch to channel 3, then rerun mythtv-setup and readd the channel change script. This is a pain but it will confirm the issue and get you going right away. It can be done without exiting the frontend.

Fortunately I don't reboot that often but I'm going to look into that set_ivtv_params script - thanks, tjc! :D Thought it was specific to my tuner card and since I'm only on co-ax temporarily I never bothered to look into fixing it, but this sounds like it's worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:44 pm 
You're really far better off using one of the other options rather than co-ax if at all possible. You'll get better image quality that way and avoid problems like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:10 am 
Agreed, I started with S-Video and liked it a lot better. The switch wasn't by choice - My plan ended so I had to give the fancy STB back and the regular one is just a cheap little box with no S-Video. Co-ax is a stopgap measure until after I move and go HD...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 am 
trafton wrote:
Watching TV came up fine, but I had to change channels through my TV remote instead of myth.

This sounds like myth was not actually in the loop? If you did not have
your TV remote selected in LIRC then you had definitely bypassed the
MythTV box. Maybe you had the wrong TV input selected or cabled wrong.

I mention this so that you maybe stop assuming that "it used to work, so
all I need to do is tweak something small."

We will need to know about your hardware to help you much more...
- captrure card
- set top box type
- remotes you use
- remote setup stuff (like maybe LIRC and IRBLASTER)
- what is connected to what using what input...

Cliff