View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:52 pm 
I'm getting "mount: can't find /mnt/hdinstall in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab" right at the beginning of the file copy. It gets placed right on the same line as the progress bar, so it gets painted over as the file copy progresses.
I've tried multiple CDs in multiple drives, all with the same result. One of these CDs has even been used to in R5.5 successfully in the past. Arg!

What is the installer doing at this moment? Is this something to worry about, or is this one of those 'safe error' messages?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:11 pm 
A little more detail please. You're doing a new install of 5.5, right? can you give some details of the system you're installing on e.g. Mobo, SATA vs. PATA, brands, sizes, and ages, whatever you can give.

It sounds like the install is trying to mount your harddrive, and is failing; The issue isn't immediately obvious (to me) from your description...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:02 am 
Hardware: Intel D815EEA board with coppermine P3.
PATA drives; hda is a WD400BB, hdc is a WD5000AAKB, /myth is hdc.

Important correction: The error is "mount: can't find /mnt/hdinstall/myth in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"
Sorry, I must've incorrectly transcribed after racking my brain for so long. :oops:
Now it makes more sense why the copy process can continue.

It's an auto upgrade, but the two aren't that different at this stage of the process, are they? - To test this, I did a basic auto install to hda (letting it create a test /myth on hda3) and had no problems.
So- the install tries to mount /myth before the copy and finds it, while the upgrade does not.
The upgrade doesn't actually need /myth until the restore, correct?
Can I safely ignore this, or does the installer really need /myth at this stage in the upgrade process?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm 
This is scary but harmless. I see it every time I do an upgrade on my production system which is using an LVM volume for the /myth partition. The installer doesn't really need to write to /myth at that stage to succeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 pm 
Thank you.
It all worked. (at least for the MBE...)
The location of /myth hadn't changed since the backup. So the upgrade process doesn't check savedfiles.tar.gz/etc/fstab for where /myth is.?.. Perhaps a future 'feature' could be to either check that file, or suppress the message..

thanks again tjc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:24 pm 
It does check the fstab from your existing root partition if it can, and will find /myth on other drives based on that, but when you're running from the CD it doesn't have the LVM drivers and daemons started. I've fiddled with what would be needed to handle that some, but it wasn't trivial and I had bigger fish to fry.

As for looking at the one in savedfiles.tar.gz, that's a chicken and the egg problem, since it's under the /myth mount point which it doesn't know about yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:31 pm 
Quote:
It does check the fstab from your existing root partition if it can, and will find /myth on other drives based on that, but when you're running from the CD...

Running this through my head; the upgrade from the CD reformated hda, so it wouldn't be able to find anything. There's a way other than the CD? (..not highly important, backend is working. just curious.)

Quote:
As for looking at the one in savedfiles.tar.gz, that's a chicken and the egg problem...

Doh!

Ok, I've got another prob. It's not exactly 'Installation' problem, but it has been there since the upgrade (it's the studdering issue..). Should I continue here, start a new thread in 'Installation', or in another forum section?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:26 pm 
stonewalker wrote:
Quote:
It does check the fstab from your existing root partition if it can, and will find /myth on other drives based on that, but when you're running from the CD...

Running this through my head; the upgrade from the CD reformated hda, so it wouldn't be able to find anything. There's a way other than the CD? (..not highly important, backend is working. just curious.)

It tries to mount the old root partition and get this along with a few other bits of information before (unmounting and) reformatting the drive. If it can't find a valid root file system it does without.
stonewalker wrote:
Ok, I've got another prob. It's not exactly 'Installation' problem, but it has been there since the upgrade (it's the studdering issue..). Should I continue here, start a new thread in 'Installation', or in another forum section?

Cecil generally asks that we keep it to "one question per thread". Anything which is not _directly_ an issue with running the install should go elsewhere. "The installer hung while copying files off the CD" or "2nd phase installer crashed after the restore step" goes here. "The install completed but there is something wrong with my system" goes elsewhere.