View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:33 pm 
I've used mythtv in the past but always had issues so I decided when 5.5 came along I would build a proper system and get it running right. Well I built the system but it seems to have a problem with freezing. It seems to be random... sometimes it happens while watching video sometimes not. I decided to give up until i'd graduated as I just didn't have time to try and fix it. Now i've got time.

I have replaced the motherboard that is not the problem. I have replaced the ram and ran memtest on it, I doubt that is the problem. I am suspecting it could be the PSU but have nothing to replace it with so that will require ordering a new PSU to test which I will probably do next.

I've noticed on 2 crashes this has been the last line of the syslog (although that appears to be pretty common command so that may have nothing to do with it).

Nov 15 07:40:01 mythtv /USR/SBIN/CRON[11933]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/local/bin/run_rrd && /usr/local/bin/run_rrd)

Any ideas? My next steps will be to try another stick of ram to be tripple sure that is not causing it and to replace the PSU.

edit: here's the thread I made before guess I should have just bumped that.
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=111069

But I replaced the motherboard with a NEW one (and reinstalled knoppmyth) and replaced the ram since then and it still happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:43 pm 
If you think that the syslog error might be related, it might be worth disabling the rrd config. run rrd_Config.sh (or something like that), and turn it off, and see if the problem persists. Thats what i'd try anyway, could be that one of the rrd methods (mb temp, cpu temp, fan speeds etc) is bumming out the machine?

Nath

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:38 pm 
There are known issues with the RRD monitoring on certain motherboards, and if you're experiencing problems your best bet is to disable it. IIRC this is covered in the hints.