View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:50 am 
I purchased a MSI-wind barbones from Fry's for $107. When I attempt to install R5.5 it hangs shortly after I hit "enter" to begin the boot from CD. R5F27 installs without problems. Some additional info:

1. I am installing using a USB DVD+/-RW drive. To validate that the DVD drive is working, I plugged it into another machine (named "quad"), inserted the R5.5 CD, booted and successfully ran the media test.

2. I attached the MSI Wind's hard drive to "quad", sucessfully installed R5.5 onto the hard drive, moved the hard drive back to the MSI wind and attempted to boot. The MSI wind displays the messages "LILO 22.7.3 Loading Linux...", "BIOS data check successful", clears the screen and than hangs.

3. Just for grins, I disabled the onboard audio and ethernet. Things still hang.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm try to set this up as a front-end only system for the bedroom...

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 pm 
Quick update. The MSI wind uses DDR2-400/533 laptop memory. I had a 1GB DDR2-800 laptop memory card that I was using. I swapped it out for a 512MB DDR2-533 card I had laying around and the install is running. I guess there are two possible explanations:

1. The 1GB module is bad.

2. My assumption that the faster memory would simply run at a slower clock speed was incorrect.

The funny thing is that I was able to install a run "XBMC Live" with the 1GB module. I'll run a memory test on the 1GB module at some point to figure it out.

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:10 pm 
Thanks for posting the follow-up Marc, glad you at least have a lead on what might be going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 am 
The system is quite stable now. The problem I am facing is minor video tearing. Since this is off topic for this section, I've started a new thread here.

Marc