View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:35 pm 
I think you are on the right track. I did a quick google to see if others had similar issues and found these:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61471
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/282116

These are all quite recent and the fixes relate to more recent ALSA versions than came with R5.5.

The following post may also help as it works with an Alsa older than what is on R5.5.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27069

I had audio issues on an Asus P5N7A-VM and realized I would need a more recent alsa as well. Instead I bailed and used a card I had that I knew worked to save time.

I have another one of these boards coming later this week and will be getting it to deliver audio over HDMI so will undoubtedly be updating alsa to make it work.

Double check your BIOS and ensure it is set for HDA (from your previous info I think it is) and not AC97 since you are trying to use the hda driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm 
Quote:
I am listening to my sound thru speakers plugged into the speaker out port on my MB (green plug).

Can I ask what is probably a dumb question, but why are you bothering with ALSA if you are just using the speaker jack? Wouldn't you just need to set the Audio Output device to /dev/dsp or /dev/adsp (I think that is what it is - it is usually in the list if you use left/right to go through it)? That is how I have my second frontend setup to use - it goes from 3.5mm speaker output to dual RCA input on the TV and work fine for me. I never even bothered with ALSA on this box - why bother making it harder than it needs to be. I only use ALSA on my main box which outputs via SPDIF to my digital AMP as this is the only way I am aware of to get audio out through the SPDIF output.

Quote:
I don't know what S/PDIF is.

In simple terms, SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) is a "generic" term normally used to mean digital audio connection. This is connected via a coax cable or optical cable (TOSLINK) to an amplifier. This allows for 5.1 (Dolby, DTS etc.) to be sent via a single cable rather than stuffing with multiple cables.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:41 pm 
To christ:
BIOS is set to HDA and thanks for other links, I am working on them...

To truck:
I think I've tried setting my audio output device to these settings as well with no noticable difference. I will check again.

As far as using ALSA, its the only thing I know so far. I've only been fooling with linux for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Read a book and giving it a try...

Go to page Previous  1, 2