View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
So this isn't on your laptop? This is in the PC ou were planning to build? Run mythtv-setup to configure your capture cards, exit frontend, open shell (alt-x) then run mythtv-setup as root.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 pm 
Correct, Im running R6 on my new build (I gave up on the laptop) Ready to learn on my new equip.

OK, Im gonna try what you said now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:16 pm 
What am I looking for in setup? I looked at capture cards, should I see one that fits the description of mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:12 pm 
OK, I think I need to get rid of the Avermedia cards, Im just too inexperienced to get them to work, if they will at all (in Linux).

I chose a motherboard with three pcie slots and only one pci slot, and I would like the ability to tune/ capture at least three channels at once.

In order to fit nicely with the rest of my AV equipment and keep the wife happy, the case I chose only allows for low profile cards.

Any suggestons for "plug-n-play" (so easy even a cave-man could set it up) HD tuner cards with the following in mind:
1 PCI slot
3 PCIe slots
must be low profile
prefer dual tuners on two cards
HDTV for OTA digital and clear QAM

I looked at the pcHDTV hd5500, but I only have room for one, and that only gets me one channel!

Am I asking for too much, have I set myself up for failure?

Thank you everyone for being so patient and helping me out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:14 pm 
We still haven't made the switch to HD so I can't help out there. I believe you have other options when not limiting yourself to PCI and PCIE slots. The HD Homerun is a standalone box that will capture HD (OTA) and send it via your LAN to your master backend (MBE). There are also USB HD capture devices to consider as well. Search for cesman's atomic atom to get a suggestion for one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:42 pm 
I have considered those options, I really wanted to keep it internal, my fron/backend is all in one case until I can justify some networking (wired) throughout the house. At least with standalone tuners, they are compatible with whatever change you make to your hardware configuration!

Thanks graysky for all the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:51 am 
Hmm... it's odd that there aren't any PCIE bus cards since most new MB's use the standard. Maybe they're in the works, I dunno. I guess your options for more than one simultaneous HD capture become:

1a) Returning your motherboard and swapping it for one that has more PCI 2.2 slots.

I don't expect you to take that seriously since most of the microATX boards (>= P45/G45 based anyway) will offer a similar options.

1b) Returning the board/case and getting a full ATX setup with more PCI 2.2 slots. If aesthetics are important to you and depending on how much you and your family like mythtv, you can consider a MBE/FE setup where your MBE is a server (full ATX) you locate in a basement or closet out of the sight, and the box you have in your TV room(s) is a nice small one (frontend or slavebackend). This option will be more expensive though :)

2) Keeping your current hardware and using an HD Homerun or using a USB external capture device such as the HVR-850

Bugg25 wrote:
D-Vine MCE303 Silver HTPC Case
ASUS P5Q-EM LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
(2) AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) MTVHDDUWB PCI-Express x1 Interface
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power

Sorry, I just looked in depth at your hardware. My comments:

HD Capturing more than 1 stream at a time: see above :)

HD Playback: G45 chipset might work okay when paired w/ that Wolfdale CPU. I have always used nVidia cards for output so I can't say for sure.

HDD Space: 640 gigs for a machine you want to use to capture multiple HD sources will fill up FAST. I would consider a larger HDD or multiple HDDs depending on the amount of content you plan to keep on the box. Also know that most file systems become very inefficient at keeping things nice and contiguous as you start using upwards of 80 % of the filesystem. In other words, when you have less than 20 % freespace, the HDD can become fragmented. Less than 10 % freespace and the HDD will become fragmented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:55 pm 
I think the HDhomerun is going to be the way for me until more drivers are available for the lowprofile HD PCIe boards that I have found. Happague has one out there, but no drivers for Linux yet.

I'm starting to feel my way around R6 and MythTV, but without an incoming signal, I don't know yet if it's gonna be for me... looks promising though! I may be leaving for Afghanistan for a year in Oct/Nov of this year, so whatever I do must be user friendly enough for the wife!

Thanks again graysky for all of the help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:50 pm 
I went with a HDHomeRun for my myth box because I wanted dual tuners from the start, and it was cheaper than buying 2 individual pci cards. It's been great because it's basically plug and play installation, so I can worry about all the other details.

Hauppauge has a internal dual tuner you might be worth checking out. WinTV-HVR-2250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:43 pm 
I looked at the 2250, but it dosent appear to have Linux drivers available yet... maybe soon.

I'm not having much luck understanding MythTV... I cant even play a dvd.
Is this a program that my wife will be able to easily operate with very little computer experience?

Thanks Tweak for the reply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:26 pm 
Bugg25 wrote:
I looked at the 2250, but it dosent appear to have Linux drivers available yet... maybe soon.

I found out here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18782 there is driver support, however you may want to wait till some advanced users have given it a thumbs up.

Bugg25 wrote:
I'm not having much luck understanding MythTV... I cant even play a dvd.

It's not included for legal reasons. See here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVD#DVD.2FVCD_Playback

Bugg25 wrote:
Is this a program that my wife will be able to easily operate with very little computer experience?

I would say yes, once you can get it setup to satisfactory state. Getting to that level can be pretty daunting however. My personal view of MythTV can best be summed up from a quote by Stan Lee "With great power comes great responsibility". :wink:

Go to page Previous  1, 2