View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 openchrome issues.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 am 
First of all, congratulations on R6. Love all the new setup menu options in particular, being that I don't know my way around Linux all that well.

When I first installed it, everything worked great ( first time ever that my VIA Epia nx1500G worked out the box ). Unfortunately, while setting up, I stuffed something and decided to reinstall.

After reinstalling, I am now getting no Xserver. X-org.log informs me that the openchrome module does not exist! Sure enough, after Modprobing it, it is not there.

How can I install openchrome on the new Arch Linux. I was only just learning about Debian and apt-get but can't use that in this new release.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:09 pm 
Hello,

It appears I have the same problem with my Epia-SP (CN400 chipset). So to bump the thread and hopefully find a solution here's my info.
Installing went well (although my tv-out (onboard) changed to black/white when X was started on the livecd. Figured it could be fixed with a modeline-adjustment).
When I did the first reboot after installation it just hung at 91%. And X doesnt start:

From Xorg.0.log
Code:
Probed:
(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) VIA Technologies, Inc. CN400/PM800/PM880/PN800/PN880 [S3 UniChrome Pro] rev 2, Mem @ 0xe0000000/0, 0xe8000000/0, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536

(...)

(II) LoadModule: "openchrome"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module openchrome
(II) UnloadModule: "openchrome"
(EE) Failed to load module "openchrome" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Tried with the "via" driver too but without any luck.
So just like the author of this thread Im hoping to get some help on installing the openchrome drivers.

Thankyou for your help in advance.

PS: Please let me know if this is not the same "category" of error so I can move my post to a separate thread if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 am 
I did a "pacman -Ss openchrome" and it showed me a package named something like xf86-core-openchrome which was the correct name to use for pacman (I hope?). It downloaded the packages and installed the openchrome-driver. Little did it help though. The performance is still troubled it seems by missing hw-acc.
:idea: However while writing this I come to think that I'd wanna check the player/recorder -profiles for the right driver-selection. I also remember seeing the glxgears running faster after the openchrome install, so it might be that the GUI is accelerated now but the play/rec-profiles needs updating..
I hope this'll get Hoffy76 a little further :)

Maybe this topic belongs in Useage/Howto since it now becomes a post-install issue for the hw-acc via-chipsets, although still, the missing openchrome driver could/might be an "installation"-issue.