View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:55 pm 
After manually installing R4 my system wouldn't boot up. It appears that lilo did not get written to the mbr. I assume there was an error message during setup but it was overwritten with the setup complete message so I didn't get to see it.

Here is what I did to fix the problem (use at your own risk):
-Reboot with the cd and exit to the prompt
-# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
-# chroot /mnt/hda1
-# /sbin/lilo -v

This gave me errors for "Unrecognized token "part:"... This is the message I probably didn't get to see during setup. So I commented out the first two lines of my lilo.conf using vi (vi /etc/lilo.conf) and reran /sbin/lilo -v

rebooted, crossed my fingers, said the magic chant and now everything seems to be ok.

Someone please let me know if my "solution" is going to do any harm. I don't understand what those "part" lines were for so I may miss them.

Last edited by wardjame on Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:45 pm 
Site Admin
wardjame wrote:
After manually installing R4 my system wouldn't boot up. It appears that lilo did not get written to the mbr. I assume there was an error message during setup but it was overwritten with the setup complete message so I didn't get to see it.

Here is what I did to fix the problem (use at your own risk):
-Reboot with the cd and exit to the prompt
-# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
-# chroot /mnt/hda
-# /sbin/lilo -v

This gave me errors for "Unrecognized token "part:"... This is the message I probably didn't get to see during setup. So I commented out the first two lines of my lilo.conf using vi (vi /etc/lilo.conf) and reran /sbin/lilo -v

rebooted, crossed my fingers, said the magic chant and now everything seems to be ok.

Someone please let me know if my "solution" is going to do any harm. I don't understand what those "part" lines were for so I may miss them.

What were the lines that you commented out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:09 pm 
Did you get any cloop errors? This may have caused the problem. If you did, then I'd suggest reburn and reinstall. Something else may have gotten corrupted. If you did get any cloop errors then it is possible you may have neglected to select to install lilo in the mbr.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:09 am 
Dale:
The lines I quoted out where:
Code:
Part: /dev/hda2, typ: 130
Part: /dev/hda4, typ: 131

These are actually line 2 and 3 of my lilo.conf. Immediatly below vga=791

Cesman:
I rechecked my md5, reburnt at a slower speed, repartitioned and reinstalled. Same problems. After commenting out the offensive lilo lines and booting up I also realised that I was not prompted for any user names and passwords. As such I have no root password. I checked the /etc/shadow file and its has root:: meaning the password would be blank but just hitting enter for the admin password does not work. There were no cloop errors during all of this.

Post subject: Progress Update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:36 am 
Whew. I don't know why I'm having so much more trouble with R4 than I did with R3.

I reinstalled yet again. This time instead of doing Load Config after selecting manual install I did Create Config. This allowed me to setup my own user as well as enter the admin password. I selected mbr for lilo which once again didn't work. I fixed it using the method described earlier.

I booted up and was able to enter the setup this time with admin password working as expected. Everthing went fine except for the cache directory. I'm getting cannot create directory /cache/cache whenever I run mkmythdir. I have partitioned a 1 gig cache (I don't actually intend to watch live tv on this box) and I ran the following with no errors:

Code:
mke2fs -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L cache -M /cache /dev/hda3

From the R3 setup instructions. Is there a different mke2fs command I should be using for R4?

When I do an ls in / there is no cache directory listed. fdisk -l shows hda3 as being the correct size.

Admittedly it is a crappy old 5gig hard drive and it will be the first part to go but I haven't received any errors from it and I would like to get some testing in on this old machine before I build my dream myth box.

Post subject: Re: Progress Update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:56 am 
wardjame wrote:
Whew. I don't know why I'm having so much more trouble with R4 than I did with R3.

I reinstalled yet again. This time instead of doing Load Config after selecting manual install I did Create Config. This allowed me to setup my own user as well as enter the admin password. I selected mbr for lilo which once again didn't work. I fixed it using the method described earlier.

Since you created config, KnoppMyth doesn't know about hda3 and hda4. Save the file, open another TTY. Use vi and look for HD_MAP. Insert the following:
Code:

HD_MAP="/dev/hda3:/cache /dev/hda4:/myth"

Write and save. Go back to the first TTY and load your config.

wardjame wrote:
I booted up and was able to enter the setup this time with admin password working as expected. Everthing went fine except for the cache directory. I'm getting cannot create directory /cache/cache whenever I run mkmythdir. I have partitioned a 1 gig cache (I don't actually intend to watch live tv on this box) and I ran the following with no errors:

Code:
mke2fs -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L cache -M /cache /dev/hda3

From the R3 setup instructions. Is there a different mke2fs command I should be using for R4?

No.

cesman

Post subject: Lilo problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am 
Hi,
I can confirm that lilo don't get properli installed, with automatic install and manual install (i rescue me with grub). Exacly the same problem with part:.... in the lilo.conf

Then i tried upgrade, and since i m stupid i forgot the backup of database, with the result mythtv-backend not starting. After creating the DB manually work again.

Other problem that i still have (already in R3) most of the times X server start with 2px fonts ... by starting X with startx all is fine.

I got the 3C940 running without big troube with the driver you can find at http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/su ... inst_p.htm

Now i m hanging on how can i see TV (that's finnaly my target). My PVR350 see to be detected and work, but when i select TV i just get a black screen ... no way to exit. Any idea ?

kim

PS: Thanks for the great distribution !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:50 am 
:oops: What does TTY stand for?

Just so I understand, the only way to fix this is to reinstall?

Post subject: Success
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:30 pm 
Things seem to be working fine now. Here are the steps I had to go through to manually install after partitioning the drive. Note: I also did an fdisk /mbr before starting because of my earlier lilo installation problems.

Create a custom configuration with my own username and passwords in it. Save configuration to /mnt/floppy (I named mine wardmyth). <CTRL><ALT><F2>#vi /mnt/floppy/wardmyth

Change HD_MAP=”” to HD_MAP=”/dev/hda3:/cache /dev/hda4:/myth”

<CTRL><ALT><F1>
Load config
wardmyth

Start installation

When installation completed I ran the #mke2fs commands recommended for the myth and cache partitions.

Rebooted and received “No Operating System” message. Lilo was not written to mbr as expected.

Reboot with CD. <CTRL><ALT><F2>
Edit lilo.conf and write to mbr as described in my first post.
Note: This time I only had one part line to comment out – “part: /dev/hda2, type: 130" I wonder if my changes to my custom config helped eliminate the other one.

Reboot enter the admin password and let the good times roll.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try the automatic install when I get a hard drive large enough to handle it.

Post subject: Extra note
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:44 pm 
After running through mythtv setup once and rebooting it prompts me for my admin password again. I just entered my pass word and said no to the first two prompts. Subsequent reboots go directly into mythtv.

Little strange but no big deal.

Post subject: Re: Lilo problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:10 pm 
kim wrote:
Now i m hanging on how can i see TV (that's finnaly my target). My PVR350 see to be detected and work, but when i select TV i just get a black screen ... no way to exit. Any idea ?

In Setup, leave 350 decoder output off. Leave overscan vertical/horiz at 0.
To exit from black screen: <CTRL><ALT><F2>
ps -ef | grep mythfrontend
kill <pid>
<ALT><F7>

Try running the front end again. If it fails multiple times, then pull the card out and reseat it. I finally had to bend the bracket on mine so it would seat low enough and still be able to screw it down. Also try a different PCI slot.

Post subject: Re: Extra note
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:54 pm 
wardjame wrote:
After running through mythtv setup once and rebooting it prompts me for my admin password again. I just entered my pass word and said no to the first two prompts. Subsequent reboots go directly into mythtv.

Little strange but no big deal.
That is how it is suppose to work...

cesman