View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:36 pm 
I just put my NVIDIA card back in my Myth box, and was modifying my XF86Config-4 file and must have miffed a command (I am assuming).

Anyways (newbie at this but learning) and X will not start. Last time I saw something like this I did a rebuild, but have done enough of those now and believeI should be able to fix this ---- any advice?

I tried to reload the NVIDIA drivers again - no-go on that, and don't know how to get enough access the the XF86 file to delete it...

Does this sound like my issue and is there an escape route?

Thanks much :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:45 pm 
well you definately DO NOT want to delete the XF86Config-4 file.

Can you get to a comand prompt at all? can you get anywhere you can type in commands? what exactly comes up on the screen?

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:08 am 
I can get to the root with no poblem - I am not sure I could navigate with VI .... do I have another option to get back..

It is simply barfing on one of my params in the file, then X complains about it and won't load. I am simply without graphics-X...

Anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:49 am 
well to fix the problem then you are going to have to edit it with a comand line tool the one that is already installed is vi. I know it is a bit intimidating, but you should run vimtutor. If you just go through the first couple of pages you should learn enough to just edit the file and save it.

To edit the XF86Config-4 file you must login as root.

also you may want to cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log or something similar and let us know what errors X is having. so we can point you at the configuration change that caused the problem.

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:22 am 
I remembered something odd about this install when I did it also, I "never" saw the NVIDIA Banner....

So I am kinda ahead, but back - maybe u can help. Apparently the installer created an XF86Config-4~ or somthin that was a backup. I made it XF86Config-4 and all is good.

Soooo, I am back to sqaure 1 ---- this is what is odd. I then carefully adjusted the params in the file again, but saw NO TV out... Odd? so, I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers and again - I am not seeing the splash? almost like the drivers are not taking?

In this identical hardware box, on a previous load I did not see this issue. Any insight?

thx a ton

Post subject: after reboot..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:27 am 
So I just rebooted - same issue like the drivers were never installed:

1) With the SVideo connector - just like normal and VGA boots fine and display will show on both boxes.

2) Once X starts - where the banner should be (NO BANNER)

3) X works on the monitor just fine - but I believe it is disregarding all of my commands in the XF86Config-4 file as it does not think the NVIDIA drivers are even there?

This did not happen - same hardware previous build?

Anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:53 am 
if your XF86Config-4 file has the driver set as nvidia and X is comming up then the nvidia drivers were installed and are working. Driver nvidia will not work if the nvidia drivers are not installed properly. I haven't paid much attention to this, but there is a setting to turn off the nvidia splash screen, and knoppmyth may have that set. On the other hand if your XF86Config-4 file has driver nv it is not even trying to use the nvidia drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:47 pm 
Been reading the thread, but I don't have anything useful to suggest. I do have a question: is there a way to rebuild one's XF86Config-4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:20 pm 
xf86cfg

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:58 pm 
just wanted to stop a dead end...I have the nVidia drivers installed and DO get the splash screeen. I do not think KnoppMyth does anything specific to turn it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
You're right it does not....