View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Chaintech mobo w/PVR-350
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:22 am 
The install works fine. Setup works fine after install.[Latest version Mythtv]
TV Out does not work, after trying and trying to run the script [going through getting the R5Alpaha30.2-pvr350.pl]; keeps freezing up; after that I can only boot into a RO file system, so I can't change things back. And no, I'm no Linux guru, obviously, but I got this thing to work on my very first install, and now, well over a week later and countless installs, the same thing keeps happening. The values for framebuffer and busid in the XF86Config-4 are the same as those I get from the command line.
What's actually happening is when I run the script, it comes back with errors; several of the subdirectories it references aren't there; do I need to edit the R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl script ? And how do I rerun the script if it comes back with errors; simply deleting the subdirectory in /root doesn't do it; even running the script again with the -r option doesn't work.
Please help. I realize suicide is not the answer, but it's sure looking good :)!
This is totally crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I did see one small thing regarding the newer versions of ivtv; when I set up Mythtv after the reboot, I have the option of using Tuner 0 as far as tuners; I was reading that later versions of ivtv now use Tuner 1 as the new
convention; could this possibly be affecting things ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:16 am 
There were some fb (framebuffer) issues with the PVR-350 particularly if you try to use boot splash (avoiding it could make your life easier).

mjl was the at the sharp end on for this stuff, you might want to PM him to see if he has some suggestions for you,

Post subject: Thank You
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:06 am 
Thanks, I'll try that later possibly; I've contacted SnapperDragon, but I know he stays pretty busy.
I've even redownloaded the iso, checked the checksum, and burned a new CD at a very slow speed, attempting to make sure there was nothing wrong
with the installation side of things.
What's bad too is, I have a PVR-500 to go in the box if I ever get this working, but this is holding things up so far.
I've about run out of options that I'm aware of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:39 am 
Whenever you do an install or upgrade from CD you should use the testcd option in the boot command to make sure that the CD is good and is compatible with the drive which is reading it. If this fails, do not continue with the install/upgrade.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:18 pm 
Thanks, tjc, I've made sure of that now that you've mentioned it, and I really appreciate the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:09 pm 
Hi mal1ch1,

I am confused a little, R5Alpaha30.2-pvr350.pl? Are you trying to install R5Alpaha30.2? cesman's R5C7 is pretty awesome, may want to try that version. Keep it simple at first, make it work then get fancy :)

Yes and tjc did mention the fb & 350. There seems to be a slight oddity but is very simple to cure. If you use a pvr-350 and choose NO boot splash, then if you choose tv out you should be good to go.

If you choose bootsplash and tv out, it will work until you reboot. There are two choices here, never reboot or edit the /etc/X11/FX86Config-4 file and change the fb to be 1 instead of 0. DO NOT restart the xserver as there is no problem UNTILL you reboot and which activates the bootsplash (which uses fb0). I am using an nvidia card so am not sure if it is unigue issue.

One other oddity that I have seen (hardware dependant) that the incorrect video card is selected and therefore the incorrect driver is entered into the /etc/X11/FX86Config-4 which makes xserver not start. To do simple quick fix and then later tweak, replace the choosen video driver with "vesa" which is a generic and works with most all video cards. Two ways to activate the new driver, reboot (reset works too) or simply open a console and as root, # killall gdm then # gdm If all is well, it will start up like an old Chevy in January in Minnesota.. cough once or twice and then run.

Mike

Post subject: Further Info..
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 am 
No, I don't use the bootsplash, never have. And I do have a Nvidia FX5200.
Regarding the R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl, I'm just following the instructions given by proto in that thread regarding getting TV out to work w/the 350, and
that's what downloads. I'll try the other script that you mentioned, but I'm sure it worked with that one to start with.
I can't figure anything that's different with the setup or installation than the first time; I have a new install that I'll try that other script on and let you know how it goes.
Again, thanks for the comments & suggestions.
I must just be missing something so obvious that it's right in front of me.
However, I do wonder about the newer versions of ivtv using tuner 1; when I go through the setup of the capture card initially, I only have the choice of tuner 0. But I'll keep working on it. Where there's a will there's a way.
PS: Just saw what you were referring to, the release of the new R5C7 iso; I was referring to SnapperDraggon's script for getting the TV out to work, which is R5Alpha30.2-pvr350.pl; there are several other scripts on his site too, 'don't know exactly what they're all for, but that's the one the pvr.pl script pulls down. I'm downloading the new iso right now and will install it & see how things go.

Post subject: GLX failed to initialize
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:44 pm 
Installed R5C7 and moved PVR-350 to a different PCI slot [saw this suggestion on ivtvdriver.ogr site]; TV out worked fine, until I rebooted. Same old thing, screen hangs up right towards the end.
Message in XFree86.0.log: (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible
NVIDIA X driver not found).
Okay, I downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver, trying anything at this point; it's so close, but not quite there. I even downloaded the latest X driver (0.10.6) for the 350, hoping this might do the trick. No go.
Any help or comments or suggestions very much appreciated.
Very close, but just not there. At least I had TV out for a few minutes, with sound too.
Really don't know where to go from this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:59 pm 
Code:
update-rc.d -f install-nvidia-debian remove
This will prevent the nvidia script from running...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:02 pm 
Hi mal1ch1,
Try re-reading my previous post, maybe that will help.

Quote:
If you choose bootsplash and tv out, it will work until you reboot. There are two choices here, never reboot or edit the /etc/X11/FX86Config-4 file and change the fb to be 1 instead of 0. DO NOT restart the xserver as there is no problem UNTILL you reboot and which activates the bootsplash (which uses fb0). I am using an nvidia card so am not sure if it is unigue issue.

Let me know if this is of value.
Mike

Post subject: NO GO
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:54 am 
Another install of R5C7, said yes to having TV out, of course no to bootsplash, TV out worked fine. Ran the command to remove the nvidia driver, it stated removal. Fb was at 0, left it at 0. Rebooted and the screen hung again at that same point towards the end [right after "END INIT IVTV"].
What's really strange here is that I have a small TV hooked up and I happened to look down at the screen, and I have a live TV picture & sound.
Now if I just had a machine that would boot to the normal MythTV screen, I'd be in business. Tried setting fb @ 1, nothing, same result on another install.
Another strange thing too, my remote is working fine as far as changing channels.
Errors in XFree86.0.log:
(EE) IVTVDEV_TST(0): Framebuffer id from dev /dev/fb0 is 0
(EE) IVTVDEV_TST(0): open /dev/video48 returned 5
and much further down:
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)
Several warning, such as
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX" does not exist
Entry deleted from font path,
But, right after the entry that states (II) Loading extension GLX,
bitmap is loaded, then "speedo", but speedo is skipped, as it states no symbols found, the goes to the next line and loads "speedo" from the XFree86 project; it appears to load, but then the fatals above come into play.
I really thought I'd get this thing to working tonight [morning now] !!!!
Oh well, 'guess I can get a fresh start on it tomorrow.
Thanks more than you know for your suggestions and patience. Possibly I should have quit a hour or so ago and let it go, but it seemed soooo close !
'Will let you all know how it goes, and again, thanks for the help.
What's really crazy is that I have the MythTV screen on the TV, but the monitor has frozen, or appears to be. I can work the screen on the TV fine with the remote, so what in the world is going on here ? Is the monitor output somehow messed up ? Before I could switch back and forth between TV & monitor. Really strange, I just went into setup on the mythtv
screen and changed the PVR-350 from displaying on TV [removed the check], and it still plays on the TV.
I'll try to figure this out tomorrow.......my mind's going.....to sleep.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:19 am 
Hi mal1ch1,

Why would want to remove the nvidia driver? If the video driver was not usable, you would not get an xserver, you would not get tv out. If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. R5C7 is very good and the flaws so far are very small and easy to work around or fix. You are seeing a work around for a small flaw that only affects pvr-350 users.

If you select no bootspash & you select tv out it uses fb0 and it should come backup on a reboot.

If you select bootspash & you select tv out it uses fb1 and it should come backup on a reboot. (You have to manually edit FX86Config-4 to set fb1 first)

If you do not select tv out then it will use your computer monitor. It should come backup after a reboot as bootsplash is not a factor.

After you have your system running and backed up, then go ahead and break it, your choice. If I recall you did mention that you are still a little new to the linux world so we are only trying to assist in making it work the first time so you would know how to fix yourself the second time.

Mike

Post subject: Yeh, thanks...
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:03 am 
I'm not getting this myself after sleeping a while and thinking about it.
On the one hand, the system comes up and the MONITOR freezes at the screen right after END IVTV...; the TV screen comes right on up and is fine.
So what gives here ? Are the monitor 'parameters' messed up, or what ?
I can do anything on the TV screen that I could do on the monitor before and the remote works fine.
Yes, I understand, if it ain't broke.....and maybe I'm making it too hard.
I sincerely appreciate all the help you guys have given me, but still don't understand the monitor showing the system hanging up like that when the TV out is working fine. 'Sorry, I'm not trying to make something simple more complex, I'd just like to get it right, that's all.
That's strange as heck though when one screen is fine & the other is sitting there hung up.
Whatever, I just woke up and came in here, hardly hitting on all cylinders yet. And yes, excepting the basic commands and file structure here, I'm pretty inexperienced dealing with Linux.
Again though, R5C7 is nice, and you all put a lot of time into this, which is very much appreciated, as all the help and suggestions.
'Will work on this later when I'm cognizant & let you know how it goes mjl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:52 pm 
Hi mal1ch1,

Ok, clarification time (for me :) If I understand correctly, the tv out is fully functional giving menus and sorting through the various menus?

Your issue as you see it is the monitor is frozen? If so, that is normal as it is not a dual monitor / tv. Once the tv out is up and working, turn off the monitor, unplug it and put it to work somewhere else. It is not used once tv out is good to go.

If you want to do some work or play (half full / half empty) then use a second machine and if using windows use the tool called putty and setup a ssh to your myth box. It is just like being there except no gui , all text command line to do the stuff.

Give us a little more details, music should work, weather should work, some news feeds are good. Open up a browser on a second box (ie has issues I hear) and put in the ip of your new KM! Oh, don't know the ip? open a termianal (alt x) and su - to become root, once there enter ipconfig to read the ip.

There are a bunch of fine tuning in the Utilities/Setup, go through all those menus, also goto the mythtv website and read the documentation as it is ALL about your mythtv box. KnoppMyth just does a great job getting you to the point where the rest is up to you.

Ensure you have your KM box behind a firewall/router as it isn't hardened to the forces of the interenet.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:34 am 
Well, 'sorry for taking so long to get back with you mjl.
I did a new install with the PVR-500 in the machine and things didn't work that well to start with, as the tuners on the 500 weren't being recognized.
'Went through the process outlined in the Wiki re the 500, and all the directories and newer drivers expected are now there [did this from another session before post configuration]. Things are working fine at this point, although I just wanted to get a good configuration up and going before I go with TV Out, as I'm using a 7" TV in here right now & that's kinda' hard to work from.
'Will run the setup-350 script later and look for all the info I can find regarding getting the best TV pictures out possible. At least I set up the 500 before the 350 & can record 2 programs while watching another [had made the mistake of setting the 350 up first previously]. And, set up MythTV in WinSCP3, so I can log right into the box now, just like I do with the Smoothwall firewall, which the MythTV box is connected to.
Thanks to you, Cecil, and so many others who have helped and worked on this project and have made it such a nice a piece of software.
'Will let you know how it goes with the TV out when I go that route, but I want to make sure I have that set up as best I can, as I'm placing the box on a 36" TV & sure don't want to mess up the TV & would like the best picture I can get.
BTW, weather, news, etc... does work fine.

Go to page 1, 2  Next