View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:07 pm 
I've tried with Knoppix and also SUSE and had no luck with this. It's not going to work with the onboard gigabit...this is I know. However, it will also not work with any PCI network card (I've been through 5 now). Essentially it will see the card and try to configure it, but you'll never be able to route, dhcp, or anything else. This is all apparently due to the MB having VIA KT600 chipset on it, which apparently is rather new. The 2.6 kernel might work better but I have not been able to get it to work (tells me it can't load the root drive).

These network cards work on other linux machines, and the network config works on other linux machines, and all of this hardware (including the MB) works absolutely perfectly under Windows XP. So as far as I can tell, the driver/support just isn't there in Linux yet.

I'd definately recommend staying as far away from ASUS A7V600 as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:38 pm 
I have a KT600 MB - works fine as does the onboard 100Mb networking card.
So does my PR350 & SATA drives.

No DMA problems - all just works :)

I am using the 2.6.4 kernel.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:57 pm 
so it doesn't "just work" "out of the box" you had to move to a new kernel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:06 pm 
After doing some more research on this I was able to get most of it to work out of the box...but not the integrated network. So if you go with this MB you'll definately need to get a sep. PCI network card

Post subject: finally working
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:19 pm 
I spent a few days upgrading to kernel 2.6 and now the integrated network is working fine. So if/when Knopp Myth moves to kernel 2.6 this motherboard should work OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:59 am 
Do yourself a favor and stay away from KT600 based boards (at least for now). I had an ECS KT600-A board and KnoppMyth hung during boot.
So I installed SuSE but got the described network card issues. I used an Intel MT 1000 server adapter, then a client adapter a finally the onboard NIC. nothing worked. I blamed it on the old SuSE distro based on kernel 2.4.20 - so I upgraded... Suse kernel 2.4.21, same issues...
Last resort: vanilla 2.4.26 kernel. After several hours of configuring and compiling it was all working. I believed, until I started uploading stuff to the server: the performance was horrible (500 - 1000KByte/s!). The message log showed tons of receive timeouts! Downloading was fine though: 30-40 MByte/s...
Ok, updated the Intel driver, tweaked settings etc etc and finally got 4MByte/s but still receive timeouts.
Using the onboard NIC was just a little better, since it wasn't a gigabit one the timeouts occured less frequently...

To make the story short: save yourself a lot of trouble and buy an older generation board.
Myself, I probably never buy a VIA based board anymore, way too many problems in the past :-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:14 pm 
I have had numerous issues with ECS motherboards. I won't even try one again. I recommend you stay as far away from ECS as possible. I know Fry's sells the heck out of them with "combo specials" but just ignore them and you'll be happier.