View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: SATA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:51 am 
R4V4.1 and previous versions are at best very hard to make work on a SATA hard drive.

Go for a PATA (old ata-66/ata-100/ata-133) instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:23 pm 
It is possible to change the BIOS to have serial ATA drives run in "compatibility mode". Probably this defeats the advantage of using serial ATA, but I was able to get KnoppMyth installed by doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:21 am 
Installation on SATA is doable, with a bit of extra work. Please see this thread in Tier 2: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1701.

As scottf mentions in his reply, you may well need only the "ide=reverse" flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:40 am 
sddave wrote:
It is possible to change the BIOS to have serial ATA drives run in "compatibility mode". Probably this defeats the advantage of using serial ATA, but I was able to get KnoppMyth installed by doing this.

Not all BIOS appear to have the compatibility mode. I didn't find it on my motherboard, an Asus P4R800V-Deluxe. The SATA chipset is an SiS180, which required the 2.6.7 or newer kernel. So I had to do the install on a PATA drive, update kernel, then copy to SATA drive method to get it up and running. And when I say running, I mean the hard drive is working. I am still having other install issues with this motherboard, but I at least got the hard drive figured out.

I agree about avoiding SATA for a simple install, at least until a newer version comes out with support for more SATA chipsets.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:58 pm 
Also, I think SATA controllers that are included as an add-in chip on the mobo will not buy you much (such as the Silicon Image) because it's hooked to the PCI bus...whereas some others that are included in the south-bridge will be able to transfer more data. I think the south-bridge included SATA controllers are the ones that can be made to look like an IDE controller so that you will not need drivers for the kernel/OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:08 pm 
In addition, it can get more complex: I believe a motherboard I am installing tomorrow contains two sets of SATA connectors, the first set which are from the southbridge and the second set which are from an add-on chip. I'll investigate if the first set can be set to compatibility mode (but I'm planning to use PATA anyway).

-brendan