View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:15 am 
Hi there.

I'll post here until I get everything working as advertised. In otherwords, until I have TV recording features, games, dvd playback and ripping, music archives, weather, etc. functioning properly, I will not consider the installation as working, so I consider it Tier 3.

Some background is in order.

This is precisely my second experience with Linux. My first was 5 months ago when I ran Slax LiveCD on a laptop for four hours. I have plenty of Unix experience however (IRIX, SCO) but very little admin experience. They wouldn't give me the root password in college no matter how often I stamped my feet and bawled "But I really want it!". Go figure.

This means that if you say "You have to set the permissions right on the file," I will know what to do. But if you say "Just update the drivers," I will look at you like you are slightly crazy.

I am very impressed with MythTv and the Knoppmyth in particular, and cesman or cecil should be proud of themselves.

Here is my present status:
TV Recording: under R5A10, the screen went black when I pressed "Watch TV". Under R5A12, I got static, but no tv stations. I set tuner type=39 in the appropriate file, and got reception (it's a crappy antenna, but that's not myth's fault. Or is it? You! Buy me new antenna!) REcording, pausing, etc. all work. Also, I set HorizSync to 30-50 and VertRefresh to 60 in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Program Guide: had to reregister with zap2it.com There's an old post in this forum that deep linked into a now defunct registration page. Just go to www.zap2it.com and follow the links there. ALSO: you have to make sure the timezone is set properly, otherwise you'll be off by a few hours or even a day. During installation, set your timezone first, then set the time. This may be obvious to some of you, but for those of us who hear "awk"" and think birds, it isn't.

Weather: This wouldn't update until I picked a location and set it to Aggressive (I have DSL). Then it worked fine.

DVD/CD Playback/Ripping: Haven't tried yet. I'm sort of afraid, actually.

Web: works. Yay.

Games: Haven't tried.

TV-out on ATI card: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Kill me. I saw a post where some guy said he had it working, but I'm pretty sure he was hallucinating. I will keep trying, though, because I'm a masochist.

LIRC/Remote: Haven't tried yet. Note that my pvr-250 is not the one with the remote. So I bought a cheapo receiver off some dude on the street and we'll see how it goes.

So that's where things stand. If anyone can help with the the TV-out problem (by selling me a used GeForce 4, for example), I'd appreciate it. Also, I've had just about every problem discussed on this forum relating to tuner type, sync rates, screwy program guides, etc. and I have newbie-level details that may help you.

Also, any sage advice about DVD ripping that I should know about now, before I get into it and have to start drinking?

Thanks again for all the hard work, everyone.

THEY CALL ME PASTABAGEL

Video: ATI Radeon 9200SE (DVI, VGA, S-Video)
TV: Hauppage PVR-250MCE (tuner type=39)
Scotch: The Glenlivet (type=single malt; year=12)
Hat: Stetson (color=black)

Post subject: Wireless?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:25 am 
I have a question. I would like to set the box above with a wireless ethernet connection (the living room is far away from the DSL and router). The question is, which wireless networking card will just plain work? (regular generic wired ethernet card is working fine). A model number would be super.

Yours mythically,

THEY CALL ME PASTABAGEL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:13 pm 
I'm using the netgear ma311(I think that's right) and it works "out of the box" however it is only 802.11b so it's not fast enough to run video over, but works great for grabing guide data and mythweb/weather/etc.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:22 am 
Thanks, to Cesman and site admins for getting the forum back up. We really do appreciate your hard work. Curses to the script kiddies. CURSES I SAY!

For anyone using an ATI Radeon 9200 or higher video card, I now have good news. I have TV-out and 3d acceleration all working perfectly.

Here's the trick - in the when running fglrxconfig you need to specify SINGLE MODE OPERATION ONLY, not dual head, not clone mode. Aslo, when it prompts for a resolution and color depth, it defaults to 640x480 24 bit. Change this to 800x600 24 bit.

Then make the modifications to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 of HorizSync 30-50 and VertRefresh 60 and you'll be good to go with video playuback through tv out.

However you will still have 3D problems. Run glxgears and unless the Fps is huge, something is wrong. I also noticed that flg_glxgears would crash.

First, use this guide:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanch ... aller.html

But that's only about 80% of the way there. The key to getting this to work is getting shared memory to work. Add this to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
mount /dev/shm

Details here: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_3.14.6.html

I may be leaving out some details (ask me) but I have tux racer working perfectly on TVout, high fps on fgl_glxgears, and live tv and video playback are great. For the record, the radeon 9200se tv out is just as good if not better than the the tv out on my nvidia geforce4 ti4400 under windows xp.

In summary, you can get ATI Radeon 9200se working perfectly under knoppmyth, with 3D acceleration, tv out, smooth video playback etc. I consider this issue closed.

Also, here is an update on getting LIRC to work with an Igor Cesko variation serial IR receiver ($11 new from ebay). The problem was that irrecord would die with errors.

The problem I had is that my pc has two 9-pin serial ports in the back, and I couldn't figure out which one was com1 and which com2. So I cheated:

I followed the instructions here:
http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... =LIRCHowTo

but I actually double up the lines in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
modprobe lirc_serial
/usr/local/sbin/lircd
/usr/local/sbin/lircmd

irrecord works. BUT I have a sony remote for the VCR which behaved very oddly, some buttons worked (the numbers, power, etc) but the 4 arrows and the play crashed irrecord. I tried a samsung dvd player remote and it was fine.

Yay!

The only thing I need now is a wireless card (thanks for the tip, Xsecrets) and a way to get DVD ripping to work (I paid $20 for matrix reloaded, so Hollywood owes me BIG TIME), and then it goes behind the tv.

Maybe move to tier 2?

THEY CALL ME PASTABAGEL