View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:32 am 
I narrowed down my freezing problem to the $6 aureal vortex 2 card I was orginally using.

I read somewhere that the SoundBlaster Live! was the recommended sound card for knoppmyth, so I threw some money at the problem.

I find out now that the newer SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit cards on store shelves don't use the old chipset everyone knows (emu10k or something similar), but the new ca0106 chipset. I'm guessing the knoppmyth basics page is not talking about this newer card.

I followed the instructions on another post here, Tier 2 "PII 1GHz....sb live pvr 250"...NECESSARY steps, but still no card detected.

lspci detects this card as "audigy LS". The same place I read about the chipsets said both audigy LS and SB live with the new chips use the ca0106 driver. so I went to alsa-project.org and downloaded the new driver, ./configure --with-cards=ca0106; make; make install; alsaconf

Now sound works...BUT I'm back to the original problem watching live tv for about 30 seconds, then getting a hard freeze. When I pull the soundcard out, everything works perfectly, only without sound. Anyone had this problem? I have no onboard audio option, so which widely available soundcard actually works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:46 pm 
As long as I don't have the frontend running while a show is being recorded (or try to watch live tv), everything is great. My box has been running for 24hrs straight now, recorded 8 shows without a crash.
Recording a show uses about 3% cpu because the pvr250 is doing all the work.
Just don't try to do anything where the soundcard has to record and play at the same time(full duplex) and everything will be ok. That's find since this box is going in the closet anyway, I control it through ssh and vnc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm 
I am having a seperate issue, but with the same sound card. I'm not getting a hard freeze, but a inability to control "master" volume. I can go into alsa and there is no "master" slider. Volume control seems to exist on Analog, Front. I can set the volume so its at a comfortable level, I just can't adjust it with the frontend controls\remote. I'am already scoping out a sblive 16-bit.