View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:30 pm 
R5D1 has all the right driver versions to make the Asus A8N-VM CSM board function perfectly right out of the box!
Even XvMC works without stopping or freezing on HDTV recordings!

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:15 pm 
hmm, i recently found the wonderful http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ so i may not make the switch, but good for future reference, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:38 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
R5D1 has all the right driver versions to make the Asus A8N-VM CSM board function perfectly right out of the box!
Even XvMC works without stopping or freezing on HDTV recordings!

Eric

Booting from DVD, the sound doesn't work for me. I read everywhere that ther are bugs in alsa with this board and only the most recent ALSA drivers work as of writing this.

Unfortunately, I'm trying to install to a SATA connected Gigabyte I-RAM (memory based Hard Drive) and because of a diagnostics check, exits without finding the I-RAM and thus I cannot install to the I-RAM.

Of course.. this prevents me from fixing the ALSA problem !

There is a fix to make the drive work, but you have to change code in a module and I don't know how to do this on the Knoppmyth ISO :/

Arrikhan

Last edited by arrikhan on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: getting sound out
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:52 pm 
You need to unmute all the sound channels in order to get sound out of Mythtv. I believe this is the case no matter what sound chips you have.

Get yourself to a black text terminal window, log in as root and type "alsamixer".
Then go in and use the "m" key to unmute all the sound channels in the mixer.
When done, hit the "ESC" key.
You should have sound at that point. If not, reboot and then you should have sound.

Good luck!
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject: Re: getting sound out
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:05 am 
neutron68 wrote:
You need to unmute all the sound channels in order to get sound out of Mythtv. I believe this is the case no matter what sound chips you have........Eric

Oooh... sounds like a plan..!

Because I boot from DVD I go straight into MythTV after setting up mythbackend IP details. Is there a way to bring up a console? I've never seen one .. but I'll keep playing :)

Thanks for the tip !

Arrikhan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:53 am 
Alt-x will pop up an xterm running as the mythtv user. I don't remember if you need to run alsamixer as root or not, if so just do "su -" and enter the root password when prompted. If the font there is hard to read you can also use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to flip to an alternate (text) console where you can login as root and run it or any other admin commands you need to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:48 am 
tjc wrote:
Alt-x will pop up an xterm running as the mythtv user. I don't remember if you need to run alsamixer as root or not, if so just do "su -" and enter the root password when prompted. If the font there is hard to read you can also use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to flip to an alternate (text) console where you can login as root and run it or any other admin commands you need to do.

OK .. this worked a treat! No root login required.

My question about ALSAMIXER. Why would it default to muted and sound turned completely down? For a CD boot frontend that I am currently running (due to SATA issues with Gigabyte I-RAM, thus can't install to HD), changing that every time is going to hurt :)

Arrikhan

PS: Thanks tjc/neutron68!

Go to page Previous  1, 2