View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Unique Project?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:48 am 
Greetings,
I have been using my KM system at home for over a year and it works great, no complaints. I have been working on another project for my work and I need your thoughts/suggestions. I maintain a sewer inspection camera(the turd cam). Yeah, I know it's gross, but the robotic camera is very cool. Currently it uses an off the shelf commercial DVD player/burner to record the results of the inspection. It's cumbersome to use. I did a small proof of concept using a KnoppMyth box and it works great. I think it would be a lot easier for the operators to archive sewer videos. It doesn't need to get any guide data, just instantly record whatever is presented at the composite video in port. The one thing I'm having trouble conceptualizing is how to get the video data off the truck and on to a local backend, then stream it out to managers for review. I can put a wireless card in the truck box and beam it to another Myth box at the home base, but is there an easy way to get the remote box to sync up its MySQL info to the base box? When the truck comes in for the night, it's there until the next morning, so even if sync'ing takes awhile, it shouldn't be a problem. Any ideas?? I am still learning Linux/MySQL, so don't get TOO over my head, but part of my job function is IT support, also, so I can probably get a grasp of it. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:05 pm 
I love my KnoppMyth, but I wonder if your needs might be served better by a different program? ZoneMinder comes to mind -- it's a surveillance program designed to record video from one or more cameras.

http://www.zoneminder.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Zoneminder is a good idea. Will it continually record (I suppose Jimmler can see if it fits his bill.)? If I wanted to use KnoppMyth for this, I'd upgrade to SVN as the built in flash streamer in MythWeb 0.21 would resolve the problem with streaming to management (or I'd ask the lead developer If I can get a beta copy ;) ). As far as getting the recording from one box to another... nuvexport can be used to export a recording and the .sql associated with the recordings metadata.