View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:54 am 
Hi.

Im about to try this solution out (option3: NFS) but have a few questions before I begin to mess up everything! :)
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I have an own network in my appartment(using a Dlink router/switch and inside that I have my backend, frontend and my desktop computer). I use static IP on every computer and therefore disabled DHCP on my DLink.
Will the DHCP-server installed with terminal server(when doing prep-ts on backend) somehow interfere with my Dlink/my network? What solutions have you tried?

In the wiki there is an instruction that says
Quote:
edit /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

remove the DEFAULT entry and replace with:

DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND root=/dev/nfs ip=192.168.254.1:192.168.254.4:192.168.254.254:255.255.255.0::: \
nfsroot=192.168.254.4:/myth/terminal_server/nfsroot
TIMEOUT 300

but the wiki only mentions the twp ip-addresses used is the backend and frontend (192.168.254.1 / 192.168.254.4)
where does 192.168.254.254 come from? is that the default gw?

Have you thought about booting from a usb-stick instead, to get rid of the local harddrive(generating sound and heat)? stripping down hda1 and copying it to the stick and then nfs-mounting the rest from the backen. Would this be possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:45 pm 
goonzo wrote:
Have you thought about booting from a usb-stick instead, to get rid of the local harddrive(generating sound and heat)? stripping down hda1 and copying it to the stick and then nfs-mounting the rest from the backen. Would this be possible?
The whole point of this NFSroot stuff is that you don't need a harddrive at all in the frontend. It gets everything across the network from the backend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:45 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
Are you sure that the kernel that you have placed in /tftpboot has been built with all the required options?

Yes I followed the instruction from the wiki in step 3 and then did a make on the kernel with the new options in it. Then did the cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /tftpboot/vmlinuz. Just to make sure I redid the kernel from my FE because I had been using the one from the BE and then copied it over from the FE to the BE and placed it in the /ftfpboot directory and I am still getting the same error message.

Are there any log files that I could post from the BE server that would help figure this out.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Last edited by sinspot1 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm 
goonzo wrote:

I have an own network in my appartment(using a Dlink router/switch and inside that I have my backend, frontend and my desktop computer). I use static IP on every computer and therefore disabled DHCP on my DLink.
Will the DHCP-server installed with terminal server(when doing prep-ts on backend) somehow interfere with my Dlink/my network? What solutions have you tried?

In the wiki there is an instruction that says
Quote:
edit /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

remove the DEFAULT entry and replace with:

DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND root=/dev/nfs ip=192.168.254.1:192.168.254.4:192.168.254.254:255.255.255.0::: \
nfsroot=192.168.254.4:/myth/terminal_server/nfsroot
TIMEOUT 300

but the wiki only mentions the twp ip-addresses used is the backend and frontend (192.168.254.1 / 192.168.254.4)
where does 192.168.254.254 come from? is that the default gw?

The DHCP server install on the BE will not interface with your Dlink it will be completely seperate. Which should not cause you a problem since you other machines are using static addresses.

Yes the 192.168.254.254 is the gateway or router address. You can also repalce the part with ip=dhcp and it will just pull all of the info for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:12 pm 
Greg first of all have to say that the changes made to the kernel and script for the diskless frontend went great in R5D7. I have a question for you though I went to add a couple of addition lines to the /etc/fstab file for my music and images. There are the lines I added to the end of the file.

10.1.1.6:/myth/music /myth/music nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 0
10.1.1.6:/myth/gallery /myth/gallery nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 0

but it does not mount the music or gallery directories. The line added by the script for video works fine.

Any thoughts as to why? I have done this before on my FE when it had a harddrive in it and it worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:40 pm 
Did you use the knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash script that came with R5D1? It has several improvements over the script posted in this thread. I made a change that makes the frontend mount all of /myth rather than just /myth/video. I thought that change got into R5D1, but I have not checked yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:04 pm 
yes I used the one that came with R5D1. But there was only the line in the /etc/fstab file that did /myth/video. Should I just change that one line to be

10.1.1.6:/myth /myth nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 0

and mount the whole myth partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 pm 
Yes. That should work. I must have given that change to cesman too late for it to be included in R5D1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:09 am 
that did the trick........

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:33 pm 
Greg now that the Diskless FE is working great I was tring to see about getitng it to work with more than one config. I made a copy of my directory under nfsroot with a different name then edited the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default file. I added a second line under the first one with a different ip address and a different directory with no luck. Then I copy the entire thing starting with the DEFAULT line and also no luck. It seem to me that there needs to be a way to tell it to got a different option in the default file or have a second file called default2, which has the info for different one. Do you know where you would set that? In the kernel or is a file it using when it boots up that could be changed? I am not sure if you have given this any though. If you have any ideas I would be will to try them out for you or work with you on it.

Oh by the way I just love the Diskless FE it is so quiet you can't hear it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:06 am 
The trick to getting 2 configs to work is to have a file /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/xxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxx is the hexadecimal ip address of the frontend machine and the file contains the same as the default file, but specifying a different nfsroot. The problem with that is, with the way I have set up dhcp, you don't know what the ip address of the frontend is going to be. It will just be an address in the ip range that you have specified.

You can however configure dhcp to serve a particular I/P address to a device with a particular MAC address. So if you know the mac address of your frontends, and you are willing to specify a hard coded ip address on your local subnet for that frontend, the script could be modified to allow it to be run more than once (once for each frontend). We could change the way it is called from:
Code:
knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash frontend_hostname [nfsroot_directory]
to:
Code:
knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash frontend_hostname ip_of_frontend mac_of_frontend [nfsroot_directory]
You could help out by working out how to configure dhcp to serve a specific address to your frontend based on its mac address (instead of an IP range).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:04 pm 
I have that figured out because I thought I would have to specify an ip address in the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default file which I did and got it to work.

host bedroom {
hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:4c:59:23;
fixed-address 192.168.1.222;
}

this must go before the last } at the end of the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:37 pm 
The next thing I need is an awk command that will remove that section from the configuration file (this would need to be done whenever the script was run a second time with the same hostname). I have worked out the awk command to insert that section into an existing configuration file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:56 pm 
I will try and look up what I can. I don't really now any programming or scripting I wish I did and would like to learn but I don't know any right now. But like I said I will do some searching as best I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:01 pm 
Greg,

Managed to destroy my backend during a dodgy upgrade :-(, and had to check back on the wicki to read my own instructions for setting up the NFSroot !!

Tried your script though, and it is excellent, lot better than doing it all by hand.

Only problem I found was that as the script clones the backend root, it "assumes" that the frontend is the same hardware as the backend. My backend has a matrox video card, and the frontend an Nvidia 6200, and I cant find any way to build the drivers on the frontend, without putting a harddrive back on the box.

Any ideas ??

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next