View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:41 am 
sanger440 wrote:
Well I nearly have a nfsroot frontend working. The script seem to work perfectly. I connect to the BE and can set recordings, see mythweather, etc. But if I try to view recordings I get "The file for this recording cannot be found".

Where are your recordings stored on the BE (what path)? Are you able to access other files, such as your music and/or videos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
The whole point of nfsroot is to allow you to have a setup that will support different fe hardware. So, it's a bit of a bummer that you need to go to that effort, but I'm glad you got it going.

Is there any way that you could set up the script so that as an option /usr can be set up so that it's not shared with the Backend?

I'm running into the issue where my Frontend is using an older Geforce 2 Pro card which requires legacy Nvidia drivers, but when I try using the installer I run into the read only issue.
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:33 am 
frustrated wrote:
Is there any way that you could set up the script so that as an option /usr can be set up so that it's not shared with the Backend?
This is possible, but you could also just manually set it up that way yourself. Just go onto the backend and copy /usr to /nfsroot/frontend/usr (if you called your frontend "frontend"). Then edit /nfsroot/frontend/etc/fstab and remove the linr the does the NFS mount of the /usr directory. Reboot your frontend and it should have it's own /usr.

/usr can be pretty big, which unless you have some sort of manual install can cause problems. You may either run out of space on your root partition, or run out of inodes if you have the nfsroot on your /myth partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:05 pm 
slow to learn wrote:

Quote:
Where are your recordings stored on the BE (what path)? Are you able to access other files, such as your music and/or videos?

All my recordings are on the BE and are in the /myth/tv directory. I ripped a cd on the BE and verified that they played. I cannot play or see the music from the diskless FE.

Samba is running and I can see the BE files fine from my winbox . And NFS was set up by the script.

Maybe NFS is not configured correctly?

Another thing, I set up both the BE and the disksless FE with the name (Domain name?) Mythtvbedroom. Maybe a confilct there?

768 meg sdram partial install on Nuv2disc
120 g maxtor HD
PVR 250 Video Capture card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:53 am 
Quote:
All my recordings are on the BE and are in the /myth/tv directory. I ripped a cd on the BE and verified that they played. I cannot play or see the music from the diskless FE.

Samba is running and I can see the BE files fine from my winbox . And NFS was set up by the script.

Maybe NFS is not configured correctly?

If it was setup by the script (did you get the latest one?) then I would think you're all set there.

Quote:
Another thing, I set up both the BE and the disksless FE with the name (Domain name?) Mythtvbedroom. Maybe a confilct there?

Absolutely! The hostname is used in the settings table, where I believe your problem is. I would suggest starting over with a different name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:34 pm 
I am in R5D1 so I think that is pretty much the latest script.

Quote:
I would suggest starting over with a different name.

To start over do I just delete the /nfsroot/mythtvbeddroom directory on the BE and run the install script again with a different name?

120 g maxtor HD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:48 pm 
sanger440 wrote:
To start over do I just delete the /nfsroot/mythtvbeddroom directory on the BE and run the install script again with a different name?

Yes, and just to be sure, delete /tftpboot so that it gets re-created. Im not sure if you need to do that but it wont hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:14 pm 
sanger440 wrote:
Quote:
I am in R5D1 so I think that is pretty much the latest script.

I thought I saw Greg mention somewhere that his latest script didn't make it into R5D1 - I grabbed it from his post on the second page of this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:50 pm 
Quote:
Yes, and just to be sure, delete /tftpboot so that it gets re-created. Im not sure if you need to do that but it wont hurt.

Well, I am very close to getting this thing working. I deleted the /nfsroot and /tftpboot and reran the script using "frontend" instead of the same name as the BE (oops).

This time the FE booted up and went through the startup stuff and then went to a blank screen on my monitor. (previously it went into X but would not play recordings). Then it dawned on me that me BE was configured to use svideo (it is connected to my TV) so that is what the FE was doing. So I connected to the diskless FE via x11vnc from my winbox and swapped out the correct XF86cionfig-4 file and rebooted the FE. It went all the way in and now I can play recordings (or watch live TV) over my wireless network on the Diskless FE. Very cool.

My BE and my FE have very different mb's and hardware, but both have Nvidia graphics card. Amazes my how linux configures itself during the boot process and most everything just works on the diskless FE.

I still cannot play music on the FE (should the path in setup be /myth/music?)

And my router still wants to feed an IP to the diskless FE no matter what I try (except of course disabling dhcp on the router). Even with the router fed IP, my diskless FE see's the back end and plays recordings perfectly. Interesting. I would not think that would work.

I am still trying to get the BE to feed the FE an IP instead of my router using the example from a previous post. So far I cannot get it to work, but if my music would play, then no worries anyway.

So thanks for the feedback, I am very close now.

120 g maxtor HD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 am 
yes it should be /myth/music in the setup music......and make sure that in the etc/fstab should have the BE ip address/myth

as far as your DHCP thing......can you turn off BOOTP in the router....

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:58 am 
One of the older scripts only mounted /myth/video. The latest should mount all of /myth. That may be your problem (or maybe not?). I'm not sure if R5D1 had the latest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:23 am 
Quote:
as far as your DHCP thing......can you turn off BOOTP in the router....

I dug around my router (dlink di-624) and could not find the option to disable BOOTP. But even with the router feeding the IP, my diskless FE seems to work fine for playing recordings, even over my wireless setup. So I am good for now.

Quote:
One of the older scripts only mounted /myth/video

Bingo! I went into the /nfsroot/frontend/etc/fstab file, changed it to just /myth, and now the music files are found and play great on the diskless FE. I am sure the /myth/video directory will work as well.

I must say this has been a great success. I have been testing all this on spare hardware in preparation for updating my existing r5a22 BE (been up for over a year) to R5D1 and converting my bedroom FE to this diskless set up. Thanks to you guys here, I think I now have the knowledge and the confidence to pull it off.

Thanks again and off course a big thanks to cesman for making all this possible.

120 g maxtor HD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:43 pm 
Is this possible? I'm getting an error while I try to use xine directly, just to get some debugging info:

Attempting to use device 192.168.1.10:/nfsroot mounted on / for CSS authentication
libdvdread: Could not open 192.168.1.10:/nfsroot with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open 192.168.1.10:/nfsroot for reading

It works fine on my backend. So I'm trying to figure out if its something to do with the /usr mount being read-only

[EDIT]Oh, figured it out. the Backend dvd drive was on /dev/hdb. On the diskless frontend it was on /dev/hdd. Didn't expect the system not to recreate the proper linkage for /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:56 am 
Greg,

I went to use your great script again, for a R5E50 setup. It reminded me to ask you to include the last bit of my instructions into the script, for those using a pc so old or badly designed that doesnt do pxe booting. :-)

The bit I meant was the etherboot kernel build:

Quote:
cd /tftpboot

mkelf-linux vmlinuz -o etherboot.nbi --append=" root=/dev/nfs \
nfsroot=192.168.254.4:/myth/terminal_server/nfsroot \
ip=192.168.254.1:192.168.254.4:255.255.255.0:::"

also a quick hack that saves you updateing the dhcp3/dhcp.conf file is to simple link to pxelinux.o, asa etherboot doesnt seem to care what the file is called.

Quote:
cd /tftpboot
rm pxelinux.0
ln -s etherboot.nbi pxelinux.0

obviously needs a "do you want to ...." and changing my addresses and paths to your variables.

Bit late now for R5E50 though ....sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:01 pm 
I'm surprised that you haven't had further problems. With the script included in R5E50 there is an issue with the FE mounting the /usr directory. I have found a fix for it. I am going to post the updated script on the wiki: http://wiki.knoppmyth.net/index.php?bin ... f1140c.bin

Last edited by Greg Frost on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next