View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 pm 
I have 512 in my FE so that should be fine. However if you have 512 also in your BE that could be the issue. I have 1GB in mine and the Dragon spec is for at least 1GB. With ram as cheap as it is I would put another 512 in.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 pm 
a quick update for anyone who cares... seems my onboard video (nvidia 6150) was eating up my memory. 512 Mb wasn't enough to run mythfrontend with the video card borrowing and everything extra being stored there for the diskless setup. 1 Gig does the job just fine though. Thanks again for everyone's help troubleshooting this!

Post subject: nothing in /proc ??
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:09 am 
Okay. I've been banging my head against a wall for a while. I setup the diskless, it boots. Yay. Xorg doesn't start. Plus, i need to update the Nvidia drivers for HDTV. I have an Abit NF-M2 motherboard, 2gb ram, an amd 4400+.

I wasn't able to update the drivers via NFSRoot. So, I installed R5F1 onto a new drive on the frontend. Went through the install. Got the system working 100%. I copied everything back over to the BE NFSRoot directory where this client resides. It boots. Yay. However, Xorg doesn't boot. I think it's because there is nothing in the /proc directory on the client after it boots. There is the /sys directory (after it boots), but nothing in /proc. Any ideas?

Everything else seems to work, but proc is not populated which I think other things depend on it - i think also for USB devices, sshd, and a few other items. Please help. My head is really hurting. THanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:00 pm 
did you use the knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash script. I have found that I have alot of problems unless I use that to setup the diskless FE. If you got everything up on the box with a hard drive in it I would copy the xorg.conf file to the BE. After you run the diskless script then copy the xorg.conf file into it and hopefully that would fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 pm 
lostmyshape wrote:
ok... i'm not sure anyone else will find this useful since it's such a weird problem, but i got my unable to mount /usr problem fixed. i kept messing with my /etc/fstab and happened to switch the positions of the /myth and /usr mounts. like magic, /usr mounted and /myth didn't. seems whichever one the mount command encounters on boot times out for some odd reason. so i just put a double entry in for /usr:
Code:
192.168.1.10:/nfsroot / nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 2
192.168.1.10:/usr /usr nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 2
192.168.1.10:/myth /myth nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 0
192.168.1.10:/usr /usr nfs defaults,auto,noatime 0 2

and both mount on boot. i don't get it, but i don't really care at this point. probably has something to do with my gateway hanging things up, but who knows.

anyway... x starts right up. however, mythfrontend keeps crashing before it starts up. any good reason for this? i can watch live tv with mythtv and xine and vlc, etc. but mythfrontend hangs and hangs and hangs and dies. am i short on memory? i'm only working with 1 stick 512 ram.

I'm having the same problem--at FE boot, I get "Waiting for /usr, then the /usr mount apparently fails, and all the usr based commands fail. I get to a terminal login prompt, and if I log in I can manually mount /usr (mount -a). my BE /etc/exports is fine, my FE /etc/fstab is fine, but /usr/ does not automatically mount upon boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 pm 
Quote:
I'm having the same problem--at FE boot, I get "Waiting for /usr, then the /usr mount apparently fails, and all the usr based commands fail. I get to a terminal login prompt, and if I log in I can manually mount /usr (mount -a). my BE /etc/exports is fine, my FE /etc/fstab is fine, but /usr/ does not automatically mount upon boot.

I assume you are using RE50, take a look at http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=DisklessFrontend for an updated script.

If you are not using RE50 the move along, nothing to see here

Edit: I hate my laptop keyboard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:29 pm 
Looks like there maybe a problem with the new script. I get some errors that scroll by very fast so I can't read them but something about unable to link and there is also a cp command in there. Everything seems to complete fine. I turn on my FE and get a Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. I love the changes in the script all the stuff I have had to do manually is not automatic. I am running the newest version of KM R5F1.

Any ideas on what it would be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:33 pm 
I actually had no problem at all with setting up my diskless FE on R5F1. I know that there is at least one error that occurs because one of the init.d scripts that it tries to set to run on the first boot of the FE is no longer there. From memory it was something to do with alsa configuration. But not running it did not present any problems on my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:33 pm 
well I am glad to hear that you didn't have any problems so that makes me think mine is an easy mistake. I just can't see to see what is happening. Does the script write to a log file that I could post or send you that might tell you what I am doing wrong or if I have something mis configured?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:17 pm 
Unfortunately it doesn't write to a log. I'm not sure how I can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:59 pm 
well after I wiped my server and started over I still got the same error message. But I did find out what the problem was. I wanted to have my nfsroot on the myth partition so when it asked I changed it to /myth/nfsroot/livingroom I get the error. But if I don't put /myth in front and let it be /nfsroot/livingroom it works just fine. So it doesn't seem to like it when I change the place of the nfsroot directory. Well I hope that gives you the info you need to check it out Greg and see if you can fix it.

Please let me know if there is anymore info I can give you or I would be happy to test it if you make some changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:58 am 
That would explain why I didn't have a problem. I use /nfsroot/fedell. Ill have a look at seeing if I can get a version going on my myth partition (although last time I tried I couldn't because I ran out of inodes.

Post subject: myth frontend diskless
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm 
I have a permission problem on /myth. I am abe to use the watch tv and watch recording, but I can not view the videos. I used webmin on my frontend and saw that /myth to the backend was not mounted. I tried to mount it, but got PERMISSION DENIED.

What CHMOD command would I use to permit access?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:52 pm 
myth19kirt wrote:
What CHMOD command would I use to permit access?

It's more likely to be an ownership rather than a permissions problem. Try this:
Code:
chown -R mythtv:mythtv /myth/video
find /myth/video -type d -print | xargs chmod a+rx
find /myth/video -type f -print | xargs chmod a+r

That should provide appropriate access

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:18 pm 
Ok...there's one thing I don't get...and I'm not at my computers right now...well, not the ones I use for myth, obviously I'm at some kind of computer...uh...anyhow...

I run knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash <frontend_host_name> on the backend...but how do I know what the frontend_host_name is? How do I setup the front end so it knows it's name and to boot from this backend? I've never ever setup any kind of diskless booting for anything before, so I have no clue what I'm doing.

Thanks.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next