View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 pm 
CharlieH wrote:
the MCEUSB remote control. Nothing I have tried seems to work. The only thing that I see that I question is that the USB receiver

I have the same setup & I just re-ran the lirc-setup script on the FE, selected MEUSB & copied over my own lircd.conf file that I created before, worked fine. Have you re-run this script?

BTW this seems unrelated to the whole diskless FE thread and should probably be a new thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:14 pm 
poflynn wrote:
I have the same setup & I just re-ran the lirc-setup script on the FE, selected MEUSB & copied over my own lircd.conf file that I created before, worked fine. Have you re-run this script?

I had tried lirc-reconfig.sh. Didn't make any difference.
The diskless image was created using knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash. Came right up and works fine from the keyboard and the Web Virtual Remote, but not from the MCEUSB. Also tried the lirc-reconfigure, and mounting the fully functional disk system to check/copy information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:23 pm 
CharlieH wrote:
I had tried lirc-reconfig.sh. Didn't make any difference.

I suggest you start a separate thread saying you want to get your mceusb remote working. And please provide more details than the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:20 am 
This script looks great. I do have a quick question that is not really covered in the forum yet, or by the wiki.

Should there be a default location for the frontend root directory to go? I kinda suck with linux, but I would assume that the root will need a lot of disk space so would /myth/fehostname1 be a good location? Why not just have the script default to /myth/hostname if you dont put in a specific location?

If thats a bad spot should I put it somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 am 
It defaults to the root partition because it doesn't need a huge amount of space, but it needs a fair number of inodes (which are limited on the /myth partition which is set up for very large files). I have always used the default filesystem setup and I ran out of inodes trying to put it on /myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:55 am 
Ok. I have not run the script yet, but wanted to make sure I put the diskless frontend nfsroot in the proper/optimal location. If there was not a default location I wanted to know where I should put it before hand

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:27 pm 
Howdy,

The default frontend root directory will be /nfsroot/name_of_frontend/
As Greg said it doesn't take up a lot of space, mine is only 390MB, so the root partition is fine.

Regards,
Kirk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:07 pm 
Hi everyone,

I was reading some debian how-to's on network booting and I found some info on using dnsmasq instead of the dhcp3 and tftpd-hpa (skip down to "Use dnsmasq" instead). dnsmasq appears to kill two birds with one stone with a smaller footprint. I have not tried it on a KM box, but it works great for me with network installs on Debian. Is there any reason (other than preference) that using dnsmasq should not or cannot be used?

Post subject: DHCP Server Wiped
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:01 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for everyone's outstanding work on getting this script together. I started doing this by hand and discoverd this thread and the script that resulted. Outstanding work.

There is one thing that I'm having a problem with, and I'm not sure if I have the skills to resolve it without some help from this group.

On my BE I have two NICs: one for the normal network (eth0) and a second one dedicated to my HDHomerun (www.silicondust.com), each on different sub-nets that the DHCP server is serving.

When I add a new FE it wipes out the settings for the eth1 interface, and the subnet that is assigned to it. The result is that I have to recreate the interface again.

Not the end of the world, but a PITA, and one that may get more significant as there are more HDHomeruns out there.

Cheers,
Victor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm 
Is there a reason you have the HDHomerun plugged into eth1 and not just have it plugged into a switch with the rest of your FE or other stuff.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:03 pm 
sinspot1 wrote:
Is there a reason you have the HDHomerun plugged into eth1 and not just have it plugged into a switch with the rest of your FE or other stuff.

I found that I was getting poor performance when I had it on the same network segment/switch. This may have been the result of having 2 FEs and an Asterisk PBX on the same switch.

For the cost of a $10 network card I was able to make it all go away.

The only drawback is that I can't view the HDHR from other computers, like my laptop.

Cheers
Victor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:24 pm 
You could try to comment out parts of the script that copy and reset the dhcp server so that it would on erase your settings.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:20 am 
sinspot1 wrote:
You could try to comment out parts of the script that copy and reset the dhcp server so that it would on erase your settings.

Marty,

That's the direction I'll probably take in the interim.

The offending section seems to be on line 148:

Code:
        echo "\
host $(basename $fe_nfsroot) \
{hardware ethernet $fe_macaddress; fixed-address $fe_ipaddress;}" \
          >> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf

I would have thought that the ">>" would have appended the info to the end, but for some reason the second subnet gets blown away.

Maybe there is some refinement someone could think of that might work.

Cheers,
Victor

FE2: Zotac MAG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:07 pm 
Since I don't have my diskless frontend on all the time, I've found that the logs aren't being rotated, specifically mythfrontend.log which hasn't been rotated since 2007-10-03 and just filled up my root partition :shock:

I've appended the following to /etc/logrotate.d/mythfrontend to prevent this from happening again.

Code:
/nfsroot/fe1/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log {
        daily
        rotate 0
        notifempty
        copytruncate
}

Hope that helps,
Kirk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:14 pm 
Just wondering if I wanted to enable DVD playback on all my FEs would I just install the dvdlib on the BE, and be done, or I need to install the lib on each FE?

Also to get my remote working I have to install a patched version of lirc and does this get installed on the BE or just the FE that needs it?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next