View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:38 pm 
WARNING: There is a wiki article on this topic right here. If you follow the instructions on the wiki, BE WARNED that others have reported that the apt-get route described on the wiki is dangerous and can cause serious problems with your system. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't been confirmed on a R5F27 build -- and I'm not going to be the first to try! Use the second method instead which I have successfully ran on my R5F27 boxes.

DISCLAIMER: This is the procedure I used to install xscreensaver on my R5F27 machines. I'm not sure if this is the most elegant way to do it, it's just what I did. I take no responsibility for damages etc. It worked for me on several different machines :)

I have based my instructions below HEAVILY on the wiki 2nd wiki post. Like most LINUX stuff, if you see a command run from $ it's run by the mythtv user. If you see one run from the # it's run from the root user. The sections displayed in the "code" boxes below can literally be copy/pasted into your ssh window assuming you're accessing your mythbox from another machine as you're reading this.

Installation of xscreensaver/xscreensavel-gl on your R5F27 box

You'll need 4 packages to get the xscreensaver/xscreensaver-gl working on your R5F27 system:
xscreensaver
xscreensaver-gl
libxxf86misc1
libgle3

Download them with a single command like this:
Code:
 $ wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xscreensaver/xscreensaver_4.24-5_i386.deb ; wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-gl_4.24-5_i386.deb ; wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libx/libxxf86misc/libxxf86misc1_1.0.1-2_i386.deb ; wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gle/libgle3_3.1.0-5.3_i386.deb

Note: copy/pasting the above will get you the i386 architecture debs. If you need something else (for example amd64, ia64, powerpc, etc.), please browse to packages.debian.org and manually download them to your machine in a like fashion.

Now you'll install the debs via dpkg as follows:
Code:
# dpkg -i libxxf86misc1_1.0.1-2_i386.deb
# dpkg -i libgle3_3.1.0-5.3_i386.deb
# dpkg -i xscreensaver_4.24-5_i386.deb
# dpkg -i xscreensaver-gl_4.24-5_i386.deb

To setup xscreensaver to start-up automatically, simply add a line to your ~/.fluxbox/apps like this:
Code:
$ nano ~/.fluxbox/apps

Add the following line:
[startup] {xscreensaver}

As an example, here is what mine looks like:
Code:
[startup] {xset -dpms s off}
[startup] {xscreensaver}
[startup] {gnome-volume-manager}
[startup] {/usr/bin/x11vnc -nap -wait 50 -passwd mythtv -display :0 -forever -o$
[startup] {xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0}
[startup] {mythfrontend}
[app] (SDL_App)
  [Layer]       {2}
  [Deco]        {NONE}
[end]

Using xscreensaver

To configure your screensaver simply issue this command from a shell on the local machine:
Code:
$ xscreensaver-demo

From here can you configure it to your liking.

Setup xscreensaver from Your Windows Machine

If you're lazy like me and want to manage your mythtv box from your windows machine, you can actually configure xscreensaver for the mythbox on your windows machine fully seeing most of these screensavers using an xsession from your windows machine (the screensavers will be displayed on your windows machine's monitor, but the configuration you leave behind will be for your mythtv machine). Follow these instructions to start an xsession in my howto here.

Now, assuming you have xming setup and running on your windows box as per that howto, simply connect to the mythtv box via ssh and issue the following:
Code:
$ xscreensaver-demo

You should get the following on your windows machine:

Just click OK to let it actually run on your windows machine through xming. Then you should get the "screensaver preferences" window:

Again, you should be able to preview all of these full screen on your windows box. There is a slight bug I found: if you highlight a gl screensaver, the little black preview window may move around and get drawn onto of other buttons. You just need to move the screensaver preferences a little or not preview those screensavers.

How xscreensaver Works with Mythtv

Mythtv has been built with native support for xscreensaver for some time now. Mythtv is smart enough to know when and when not to allow xscreensaver to come on; as far as I can tell this only happens when the GUI is idle. It's smart enough to know that if you're watching a show or a movie file (mplayer or xine), it shouldn't come on. It will come on if you pause the show.

Troubleshooting
Problem with mplayer/xine
If you're finding that the xscreensaver starts when you're viewing playback from mplayer, do the following:
Code:
$ nano ~/.mplayer/config

Add the following line and save the file:

stop-xscreensaver = 1

If you're using xine, you can do the following:
Code:
$ nano ~/.xine/config

Adjust the gui.screensaver_timeout to a value below the current time it takes for your screensaver to come on. I.e. if your screensaver comes on in 3 minutes, set this to 2. Make sure this line is uncommented too!

Problem with lirc not stopping xscreensaver
It is important that xscreensaver has time to initialize prior to mythfrontend coming up. If you have a slower machine like I do, you might have to add a short delay before your myfrontend starts-up. Otherwise xscreensaver might ignore inputs from lirc (although it responds to the local keyboard just fine).

To do this, simply make a script that pauses for 5-10 sec before launching mythfronent and point to that script in your ~/.fluxbox/apps to clear up the problem. Here's how I did it; credit for the script goes to Kirk (you can read the original post I made on this issue here if you want it):
Code:
# cd /usr/bin
# touch delay_mythfrontend.sh ; nano delay_mythfrontend.sh

That should bring you into nano editing a blank text file, paste the following into it, then save and exit nano:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 5s
mythfrontend

Note: you can use more or less sleep time (the delay) if you need to.

Now just assign the permissions and add it to your ~/.fluxbox/apps:
Code:
# chmod 755 delay_mythfrontend.sh ; chmod +x delay_mythfrontend.sh
$ nano ~/.fluxbox/apps

Remove or comment out the old line to startup mythfrontend and add one that calls your script. Here is my current one:
Code:
[startup] {xset -dpms s off}
[startup] {xscreensaver}
[startup] {gnome-volume-manager}
[startup] {/usr/bin/x11vnc -nap -wait 50 -passwd mythtv -display :0 -forever -o$
[startup] {xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0}
#[startup] {mythfrontend}
[startup] {/usr/bin/delay_mythfrontend.sh}
[app] (SDL_App)
  [Layer]       {2}
  [Deco]        {NONE}
[end]

Last edited by graysky on Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 am 
Just overhauled the howto; it now has all the info I know on the subject and is verified to work with R5F27.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:57 pm 
Any way to get this to work on a second monitor? I would love to get this to work as a digital picture frame using a second video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:17 pm 
Sorry dude, that's over my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:24 pm 
Site Admin
Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:43 am 
cecil wrote:
Good job!

Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you!