View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 pm 
Hi and thanks for reading this!

I run a Hauppauge PVR-150 on an Athlon 2Gsomething system. My Graphics Card seems to run on a S3-Chipset.

During my installation I had this know respawning problem. So I had to change the xorg.conf: "S3" became "vesa". Are you still following me.

After solving lots of other small problems (Isn´t that, why we use Linux?!) I can now watch TV.

The problem is, that the motion is very slow and flickering (a word I have not been familiar with, but it is a good onomatopeia). The screen resolution seems to be 1024x768. I cannot change this resolution without giving up my LiveTV:

When I use allround a lower resolution my KnoppMyth ends in Nirvana showing part of the screen in the low res while cutting of the rest. That would be tolerable if X didn´t completely smoke off like an ordinary Micro**ft Sysem (Sorry for the 4letterword!). I could not even move the mouse.

When I only lower the TV res and leave the GUI to 1024x768 the TV stays black and gives me - at least from time to time - the GUI back.

Soooooo. I do not have to watch PAL-TV in a 1024x768 resolution. Has anyone a hint for me?

Please, I promise. As soon as I am an expert (probably in a galaxy far, far away) I will help other N00bies as good as I can.

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:07 pm 
Could you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and lines from lspci -v which deal with your video controller.
What type of TV are outputting to and are you using any kind of deinterlacing?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:14 pm 
You generally need some kind of accelerated driver for your graphics card with working "Xv" support to playback TV or "video" smoothly. The best supported video chipsets for this are:

- nVidia GeForce MX4... FX5... 6... 7...
    - ATi (sorry I don't know the chipsets here)
    - Via Unichrome (as seen on the Epia boards)

Your best bet would normally be to search for success stories which mention an S3 based video card under Tier 1 or 2 Hardware Recommendations. I couldn't find any, but that may be because the phpBBS search doesn't like short keywords. A search for "s3" didn't even find your posting... :roll:

If manual searching doesn't help you may want try another video card which is better supported. This page is a bit out of date, and doesn't cover newer cards, but the information it does contain is still OK. http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=VideoCards