View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am 
I had mentioned this problem in this thread: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14235 already, but I thought I might post here to see if I could get some more specific help.

I upgraded from R5D1 to R5E50, and now I've tried just about everything to stop the distorted sound. It only occurs when playing a video or show, or watching live TV. I checked the recordings on my Windows box, and they're working just fine, so it's probably not the PVR-150 I have in there. DMA is enabled. I tried adjusting levels of audio in just about every way I could imagine. I tried as many combinations of "Aggressive sound buffering", "Extra audio buffering," and countless options in the different recording profiles that I could think of. I've tried every option of MPEG decoder, but I even noticed the problem in playing mp3s (though that was something I never did in R5D1, so I don't know for sure if that worked for me before). I swapped out sound cards, and still no luck.

I'm at a complete loss.

Any help? Did I maybe miss something?

Thanks!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:15 am 
Your master volume in aumix isn's set too high is it? This will sometimes cause distortion, along with popping and snapping.

I do know, that at one point, there was an issue with popping and snapping in an older release, but I believe that was alsa related and resolved in a later release of KM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:25 am 
Quote:
Your master volume in aumix isn's set too high is it? This will sometimes cause distortion, along with popping and snapping.

I do know, that at one point, there was an issue with popping and snapping in an older release, but I believe that was alsa related and resolved in a later release of KM.

Nope. I had already tried that. :(

Last night I tried adjusting the latency values between the sound card, vid card and tuner card, to see if it would make a difference, and it didn't. I was also able to change the IRQ of the card so it was separate from the USB controller, and still no luck.

Since recording isn't effected, though, I'm pretty certain it's just a problem with the audio buffer. Is there a way of adjusting this, other than the awfully vague check boxes? I've tried them in various combinations, but it doesn't seem like they make much of a difference.

Would I have better luck switching to something other than mplayer? Or maybe upgrading it?

If all else fails, I might just try rolling back to R5D1, since that worked, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can.

Thanks!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:33 am 
There are multiple volume settings which need to be checked (depending on your hardware, there's also a setting for the PVR cards which may help. Search for "pvr distorted sound" and don't forget to click the "all words" checkbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:22 pm 
Although I don't think it's volume levels (I've checked all of them in alsamixer, even cranked them all down below 80 just to see), you did cause me to look again at some posts that I had overlooked before. Namely, this one: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11979

I'll try it when I get home from work, but I'm wondering if you know how to check the current version of 1) the PVR-150 firmware and 2) ivtv version?

Thanks a lot!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
There are directions on the wiki for upgrading to the new 0.10.0 version of the driver, but i dodn't remember seeing anything related to sound in the change notes, but they're kind of truncated...

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... vtv-0.10.0
http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/stable/ChangeLog-0.10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:52 pm 
Yup, you were right. Upgrading to the new 0.10.0 drivers didn't do anything differently. I might be wrong in assuming that ivtv is for capturing the audio/video, whereas my problem is in the playback of the audio, but the recordings come out just fine on my WinXP box.

Oh, so very strange. Hrm. On the off chance I'm missing something, here's the ivtv section of dmesg:

Code:
ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv:  version 0.8.2 (tagged release) loading
ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.18-chw-13 SMP preempt mod_unload 586 gcc-4.1
ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
ivtv:  the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines, along with
ivtv:  any module options, when mailing the ivtv-users mailinglist.
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:02:08.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:1f.3
parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]
ts: Compaq touchscreen protocol output
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tveeprom 1-0050: Hauppauge model 26132, rev F1B2, serial# 10062479
tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is TCL M2523_5N_E (idx 112, type 50)
tveeprom 1-0050: TV standards NTSC(M) (eeprom 0x08)
tveeprom 1-0050: audio processor is CX25841 (idx 35)
tveeprom 1-0050: decoder processor is CX25841 (idx 28)
tveeprom 1-0050: has no radio, has IR remote
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
ivtv0: reopen i2c bus for IR-blaster support
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
cx25840 1-0044: cx25841-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
cx25840 1-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
wm8775 1-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02050032
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPEG
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM audio
tuner 1-0061: type set to 50 (TCL 2002N)
ivtv0: Initialized Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, card #0
ivtv:  ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

Though I found this curious, immediately after the above:

Code:
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded

I'm using a Hauppauge PVR-150 -- is bttv or btaudio even needed? Could the bt878 audio driver be causing some problems?

Thanks again for the help! :)

- Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am 
I took a break from fiddling with this to move, but will resume my fiddling over the weekend. I found this thread:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

... and was wondering if maybe changing pcm_buffers such as in this line would do the trick?

Code:
options ivtv yuv_buffers=4 mpg_buffers=16 vbi_buffers=4 pcm_buffers=4

Does IVTV have anything to do with playback, or is it just for capturing?

Thanks!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:42 pm 
acipolone wrote:
Does IVTV have anything to do with playback, or is it just for capturing?

It depends.

If you have a PVR-350 it affects both. Otherwise it only affect playback indirectly, via the quality of the recording, and any demands it places on the system (buffers, DMA, ...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:34 pm 
Nope, still no luck.

I'm going to pick up a new sound card and try an auto-upgrade. If that still fails to work, I'll probably do an install of R5D1.

Now, will there by some database errors by rolling back to an older version? Or is that just a big, giant "no-no"?

Thanks for all the help.

- Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:28 am 
After almost a month of my box sitting unloved and unusable, I reluctantly formatted the whole thing and tried setting up Ubuntu 6.1 Edgy with MythTV 2.0. (And let me tell you, I appreciate KnoppMyth sooooo much more after going through that 10 hour ordeal.) I ended up with the same sound problem, which means this probably is a hardware issue, despite my trying three different sound cards.

Since the drive is formatted (I was hesitant to delete my recorded shows), I'm going to try R5D1, since that worked for me for the few minutes after I moved the components (HDD, sound, video, PVR-150) to the new mobo before I upgraded to R5E50, but I doubt it'll work.

I had this idea that maybe it was a swap issue, since the swap partition was originally set up on a much slower computer with 256 megs of RAM, but after changing the size to something larger and reinstalling R5E50, still no luck.

Just wanted to post and note that it probably wasn't a KnoppMyth issue at all. I'll keep trying -- I spent so much time on this that I refuse to give up, and I refuse to switch to something like GB-PVR if I can avoid Windows.

Thanks for those who offered help!

- Anthony
- PIII/1.2GHz, 384MB RAM, PVR-150, GeForce FX 5200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:39 pm 
I am experiencing the same issues. I have a PVR 500 and an HD 5000 card.

Under HD, the sound is tremendous! But the sound when watching recordings of Standard Definition television is over driven and distorted. It is MOST evident when watching Star Trek TNG. TNG has a low drone (the sound of the ship) nearly the whole time while on the ship. I hear a lot of distortion then. Almost like the low frequencies are over driving an input.

I have disabled sound control in Mythtv. I am using Optical Out only on my system board so there are no adjustments to be made in alsamixer. I have also upgraded to IVTV 10 which resulted in no change.

Are there low level settings in the IVTV driver? How can we attempt to isolate the source of the distortion. The distortion makes it into the recordings as I have checked it by watching the programs from other mythfrontends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:45 pm 
Apparently the root of my problem was the video decoding -- I switched it XvMC last night and it works perfectly now.

I swear I tried that like, fifteen times before, but if it works, I'm not going to ask!

So -- problem solved!