View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:31 am 
Hi all,

Since a week i switched to digital TV from a provider called @home in the Netherlands.
I had mythtv allready working perfectly with analogue picture before and also with spdif output to my receiver.

I managed to set mythtv up with the humax digital receiver via s-video (selected composite 3 in myth setup) to the mythtv pc. (hauppauge 350)
I use the remote of the humax box to change channels, this is not a problem for me.
At first i had problems with the sound, which was not synchronic with the picture, but i could finally resolve that problem.

Problem i am having now is that i am unable to manually schedule recordings.
Well, i am able to actually schedule, but the program is not recorded...
However LiveTV is working perfectly, so when i watch digital tv via the myth box, the livestream is recorded and i can also watch this later on with good picture and sound.
I want to be able to schedule a recording though.

I got 2 questions about this:

- In myth setup i created a channel (3) for the digital setopbox (the humax).
However digital program guide details for this channel are not showing up (NO DATA), which seems to be logical.
Question is, is it possible to use the EPG to automatically schedule recordings for all channels the setopbox has ?

- If EPG details would be unavailable for this kind of setup, how can i manually plan recordings via mythtv ?
Like decribed above, i am able to schedule, but there is nothing actually recorded. On the other hand, LiveTV is working perfectly.

Hope someone can help me out a bit.

Thanks,
Robert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:13 pm 
To record from the Humax you need to use mythtv-setup to create a new Video Source for your channels that are available on your STB. This Video Source is then connected to the S-Video input (Not Composite3) in Input Connections. In the Channel Change Script text entry box put in the following:
Code:
/bin/true

If you run mythfilldatabase, you should see a set of channels created when you go back into the Channel Editor in mythtv-setup.

As you have no way of currently controlling your STB from MythTV, this does reduce the usefulness of MythTV. You really need some kind of IR transmitter (IR Blaster) to send IR signals to your STB.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:01 pm 
Hi,

Many thanks for your answer.
I am having a hard time to configure this.
I created a new video source using mythtv-setup and connected is to the composite 3 input.
From what i've read you have to link it to the composite 3 and not the s-video input. Anyway if i link it to s-video i donot have picture at all, while with composite 3 i do have perfect picture and i can record while using livetv.

However scheduled recording is still not working; the backend says that it is "recording", but when i try to watch the recording the screen is black, while with live-tv picture is ok.

Is there some step by step guide for connecting a external digital cable receiver (Humax in my case) to a mythtv box ? there is one for connecting a vcr/camera at http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/S-Vide ... _Recording , but this is not helping me out on this topic.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:19 pm 
In the card setup in mythtv-setup, what is the default input for the card?

BTW, Does your EPG have all the correct channels and programme info?

Quote:
Is there some step by step guide for connecting a external digital cable receiver (Humax in my case) to a mythtv box ? there is one for connecting a vcr/camera at
You appear to be at least 90% of the way there, :) I'm using a PVR 350 to capture Composite Video from a VirginMedia Scientific Atlanta STB.

Basically after stopping mythbackend, then starting mythtv-setup
1. Set up MythTV (General)
2. Set up Card, select correct input. (Capture Card)
3. Create Video Source for your cable package. (Video Sources)
4. Exit now and run mythfilldatabase to create channels and fill EPG, then go back into mythtv-setup.
5. Attach Video Source to Correct Input, Add channel change script (or dummy script as above). (Input Connections)
6. In Channel Editor, Enter channel numbers and add numbers to Frequency Field that would be sent using the channel change script.
7. Make sure the starting channel is the correct channel. (Input Connections)
8. Exit mythtv-setup, restart the backend and restart the frontend.

Hopefully after that you should be able to schedule programmes.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 pm 
Thanks!

I'll try this this evening.

Meantime:
" In the card setup in mythtv-setup, what is the default input for the card? "

The default input was "tuner0" (only 1 tuner on pvr 350). but i also changed this to composite3 a few times. I am not sure though what input to fill in this screen though.

"BTW, Does your EPG have all the correct channels and programme info?"
No, EPG doesn't get any channels for the settop box video source i've created recently. I still had the channels from the time my mythbox was connected directly to the cable, so i fooled around with those and changed the video source in them to my newly created one.
Myth backend says "recording" when i schedule a program via EPG, but as i said only black screen.

I know i am almost there, hopefully it will work out 100 % one of these days.

Thank you for help.