View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:07 pm 
Since upgrading from R5A16 to R5F27, I'm unable to view video while it is doing commercial flagging because it is only a Celeron 666Mhz processor and I suppose the newer versions uses up more 'stuff'?
While I enjoy commercial flagging, is it possible (I can't find a setting) to have it automatically pause when I go to playback a recording so it does not stutter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm 
I feel your pain. I get stutter when playing back 480i and commflagging in the background and I have an Athlon 64 3200. Two things:

1) turn it off manually. Information Center -> System Status -> Job Queue. You can pause or cancel existing and upcoming jobs

2) Alt-S for setup screen. 7th screen has job queue start and end time. Run 'em overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 pm 
Never even caught that start/end time for the job queue! Thanks so much! I set it for midnight - 8am, which should be enough time for 3 1-hour shows a night (only 1 tuner, this should be about max)

Super duper, and that's crazy you have it with that processor! I was going to try and get my Axp1700 w/ 512mb memory a try, but it sounds like that wouldn't matter much, I wonder why (even with CPU for job queue set to low). You using MPEG2 encoder card (PVR-250 here) or... hmmm. weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 pm 
You might check the pause_commflag.sh script that comes with F27. It pauses commflag at a certain cpu usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 pm 
found the script in /usr/local/bin and I see it is set at 65% threshold. I suppose it has to be added to the crontab using the info in the script itself. I'll check this out. Do you add it to the ROOT or your USER crontab, or is this already running in R5F27?

I'll check to see what kind of CPU usage I get while flagging is running (in about 17 minutes) and also when playing back MPEG2 video and saved xvid videos. I'll edit this post then with the results to try and find a 'threshold'.

readings using 'top' through ssh on celeron 666 system with ATA33 IDE by subtracting 100% - idle% = usage% (below)
CPU recording only (PVR-250): 10% (30% spikes)
CPU playback while recording: 90-100% (no stutter though)
CPU commflag only: 60% (75% spikes)
CPU playback + commflag: 100% (stutter central)
CPU playback only: 85% (95% spikes)
CPU Idle: 2%

Sooo... should probably set it to 85% threshold in that script. Now to figure out how to cron it (or if necessary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:52 am 
The script will work fine in either crontab. I have mine in the mythtv user crontab. When logged in a mythtv just enter:
Code:
crontab -e

As a point of reference the threshold of 65 works perfectly for my P4 HT 3GHz.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:23 am 
ucffool wrote:
Super duper, and that's crazy you have it with that processor! I was going to try and get my Axp1700 w/ 512mb memory a try, but it sounds like that wouldn't matter much, I wonder why (even with CPU for job queue set to low). You using MPEG2 encoder card (PVR-250 here) or... hmmm. weird.

I don't know that chip too well, but it looks like you're doing SD. I'm doing OTA digital (SD and HD), and I have two tuners and allow three commflags to go at once, so I'm putting a little more stress on the system. With one tuner and SD video you should be OK. Maybe kick the RAM up to a gig.