View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:17 am 
Well I guess the Subject line says it all. There are no less than 8 deinterlacers to choose from in R5.5. So I'm wondering if one has plenty of CPU and is not using XvMC and is using svideo out, what would be the preferred interlacer to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 pm 
Well, as far as I know, there is no HD output on S-Video at all. The S-Video can handle "480i", which is standard definition, but not 720p or 1080i. You need to use component, DVI, VGA, HDMI or the likes for high-definition programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 pm 
There's definitely no way to output HD via S-video. And as Liv2Code points out, S-video is 480i, so to get the correct "look" to the video, you'd actually want to avoid deinterlacing if possible.

My guess, if you really mean to play back HD recordings via SD output, would be Bob 2x... it'd make deinterlaced 60fps video, which could then hopefully be correctly interlaced by the PVR-350 at 480i60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:13 pm 
If S-Video is actually used, deinterlacing does make a difference.
Before I got my HDTV, I had dual HD tuner for recording over the air, but only an analog TV connected via S-Video for playback. Worked great for me. DVD quality playback of everything.

For me, CBS (1080i content) looked best if deinterlaced (then re-interlaced for playback at 480i). I used "linear blend" as my preferred deinterlace method.

I just installed R5.5 and have yet to figure out all the settings. The "High Quality" playback profile seems to work for me now with my new Samsung 1080p HDTV.

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:38 am 
Just to clarify, My tuners are digital tuners and the recordings are at 1080i and 720p. I use the svideo out on an Nvidia FX5200. I understand that svideo in not HD capable. The Nvidia driver automatically takes care of converting during playback to 480i for the TV with DVD quality as a result (DVDs are recorded at 480i, even though some players upconvert to 480p or higher). Believe me, deinterlacing definitely needs to be turned on or the motion artifacts are severe.

I have been using bob 2x in R5F27, and have tried some others in R5.5. The differences between methods is subtle.

There are now several 2x deinterlacers available, and I don't know what their strengths and weaknesses are. I was just wondering if anyone with similar setups could chime in with their preferred deinterlacer, horsepower not being a factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:29 pm 
Two of the new deinterlacers are greedy 2x and yadif 2x. Both of these will produce a full resolution image for each field. Bob 2x only displays a single field at a time by line-doubling. This means that if you have a static image. sharp transitions in the vertical dimension (horizontal lines) will appear to bob up and down. Greedy 2x and yadif 2x use more cpu, but produce a better result when deinterlacing standaed def tv for starndard res display, or high def 1080i for a 1080p display. If you are displaying 1080i on a starndard def tv, bob will probably look pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:39 am 
Not sure what resolution you have X set to but 640X480 usually works best when outputing to svideo, sometimes 800x600 depending on the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:52 am 
Yeah, I'll second that. Using 640x480 gave me output quality head and shoulders above 800x600 or anything else. Especially in the areas of color correctness, saturation, and contrast. It was like a whole different video card. The less scaling steps you do between input and output the better.