View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:33 pm 
Setup: R5F27, Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350, with Samba share

I was able to map to the share and copy recordings locally. When I tried to play using Windows Media Player, it complained of a codec error. Which codec should I install in order to play local copies of recordings?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I didn't find anything from a brief search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 am 
Try using VLC as your video player -- it has the proper codecs built in.

www.videolan.org

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:50 am 
You said these are coming off a windows share right? Can you play them on that platform? If so, which mediaplayer (name and version) successfully does it?

You can give VLC a shot, but the newer versions of wmv can be encrypted as part of the DRM and only the m$ player will play them. Some videos are encoded with an active license which won't play on any player including the m$ player.

The helpful thing to try would be to drop out of the mythfrontend, and simply attempt to play one of the files manually which will provide you with some debug info.

Code:
$ mplayer /path/to/file/file.wmv

If it's DRM protected, the output there will let you know. That said, mplayer has support for TONS of codecs if you compile it yourself (see my howto compile mplayer post for detailed instructions to do this). To see which ones you have currently, simply do the following from a shell:
Code:
$ mplayer -vc help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:17 am 
Hi,
If you've got 'raw' DVB-T recorded programs (i.e. digital ones) from a card or perhaps even those recorded by a PVR-350 card or similar then it may be in mpeg-ts format. Windows Media Player cannot play these out of the box, you must first install a direct show filter to split the right stream out of the ts file and then play the file. You may also need a codec to decode mpeg2 files. See this post for info about mpeg-ts and direct show filters to play them on wmp:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=17
-Mythman

Running Knoppmyth R5.5 on a Compaq EVO D510 (sff) w/ P4 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 330GB 7200rpm Maxtor IDE HDD, XFX Nvidia GeForce 6200 (AGP low profile, p/n: PV-T44A-WANG) and Huappauge NOVA-T 500 DVB-T dual tuner PCI card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 am 
VLC was able to play the .mpg file, so I guess I'll use that instead of Media Player. Thanks! I'll look into the MPG-TS to see if that's the codec I'm missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:19 am 
AggieEngineer2k wrote:
VLC was able to play the .mpg file, so I guess I'll use that instead of Media Player. Thanks! I'll look into the MPG-TS to see if that's the codec I'm missing.

Glad that helped. There are some other issues you can run into related to the encoding of closed caption data into the VBI. If the video starts to get jerky about 30 seconds into the video playback, give mplayer for windows a shot. You can download it here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Marc