View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm 
I have a fresh R5.5 install that is generally working very well, congrats to Cecil and the team, the system is getting very refined. My latest install took <2 hours end to end.

However, one that that I am still having issues with is ripping a DVD. My three year old has a bunch of things he watches incessantly and I'd like to save the trouble of hunting for the various discs.

I can launch the Rip DVD option from the menu, hit a key to launch the transcode daemon, and select the various options. I then start the rip and it does its time estimates. If I login via ssh I can see the temp file being created and getting larger in /myth/video

However, when it is done ripping it appears to erase the file, gives no error, and I'm left with nothing. No matter what I try and rip, there is no output file left at the end.

Any suggestions to resolve greatly apprecaited.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 pm 
Hi Jeff,

I might be stating the obvious, but have you gone into video manager after doing the ripping? From my understanding, this does a scan of the /myth/video folder and makes your ripped iso's turn up in video collection.

Hope that helps,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not the issue.

As I noted above, the file initially appears in that directory while it is being "worked on" but at the end of the rip it is no longer there. I have run the scan but I could see at the command line that the file wasn't there anyway (after scanning didn't reveal it).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm 
hhmmm,

interesting... sounds like the temp working folder is set to /myth/video, and it is cleaning itself up completely (ie removing all files once complete). I havent looked into it, but is there a setting in setup that says where the temp/processing files go? A quick google reveals some hope?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/277761

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 am 
I've seen this in several recent DVDs. They have implemented "structure protection" which is a fancy way of saying they mangle the data in a way that DVD players can understand but rippers don't. About half my newer DVDs are not rippable with Linux tools anymore.

Fortunately, Windoze is still the king of ripper platforms and doom9.net has lots of info on how to deal with structure protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:12 pm 
Hi,

If you are ripping to good quality (XVid), MTD produces a temp copy of the vob file then proceeds to transcode it. I think you'll find that R5.5 doesn't have 'transcode' installed, this is required for the conversion step.

Hope this helps,
BigB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:02 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I've seen this in several recent DVDs. They have implemented "structure protection" which is a fancy way of saying they mangle the data in a way that DVD players can understand but rippers don't. About half my newer DVDs are not rippable with Linux tools anymore.

You can ask mplayer to play the DVD and output to a file. Look at mplayer's manual page and search for the "dumpvideo" and "dumpstream" options.

No extra tools or anti-social OSes are necessary.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:39 pm 
manicmike wrote:
You can ask mplayer to play the DVD and output to a file. Look at mplayer's manual page and search for the "dumpvideo" and "dumpstream" options.

Ooooo.... Exxxxcelent!

Now, can it dump the video at faster than 1x?? (Just kidding -- I'll have a gander at the web and see what this technique can do!)