View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 am 
I have two separate mythboxes (both FE/BE on each box). One, I have had for years for recording SD cable. The other, I have been tinkering with HD OTA.

Both boxes are running auto installs of KM 5.5.

The HD box seems fully operational and ready for prime time. So, I wanted to configure the boxes as Master/Slave so I could watch some shows on the HD box that I do not get OTA on my HD box (like The Daily Show).

I followed the directions from the wiki here http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=SlaveBackendHowTo with the SD box as master and the HD box as slave.

The SD box seemed to survive fine, but the HD is acting funny.

When the HD box boots it asks me to select my language and then it says that no UPnP available. I hit ok and it brings me to the setup screen for the host database (the one from General Set Up from mythtv not alt-s setup).

I put in the SD ip address, and the other boxes i leave alone (mythconverg, mythtv, mythtv).

This then brings up the SD box interface. Can't watch live tv, but I see all of the SD recordings. (I think I am looking remotely at the SD box itself, rather than the HD box with the SD master database, because the SD box has a different theme running than the HD box and if I make changes on Alt-S then those changes occur on the SD box).

Even though I can see the SD recordings (and the previews show up in the little box), if I try to play one, I get ("cannot find recording")

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Alternatively, I could just go back to two separate boxes (some benefit to redundancy) if I could just watch the SD recordings on the HD box. Could I use mythweb to do this? Something else?

Last edited by TB12 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:00 pm 
Are your boxes' hostnames unique and have you entered them in Setup? See http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18703

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:52 pm 
OK. Thanks.
I believe I have made unique names (and unique IP addresses). So, ok there.

Setup changes. I think you are referring to this:

Quote:
Have you made the following changes in Setup on your FE?

Setup -> General -> 1st page - Host name: Should be set to your BE's IP address (or hostname)
Setup -> General -> 2nd page - Use custom identifier for frontend preferences & Custom identifier: These are used to uniquely identify the FE(s). Your KM boxes MUST use unique hostnames
(See http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... p+frontend for additional information)

These are from an R5F27 install, they may be located somewhere else/named slightly differently in 5.5, but should get you going.

I am sure about the first page of Setup.
But, I think I missed the entry on the second page. Will check and fix when I get home. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 pm 
bam! That worked. Thanks again stl.