View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:17 pm 
I've recently become interested in finding a simple UI for accessing internet TV from my mythbox. Currently, I watch through the iceweasel browser (using flash plugin), but all the typing and mouse clicks can become annoying :)

I was hoping to have this thread be a general brainstorm/discussion of all our Linux options for watching ever-growing web-based TV and Netflix material.

Here are some options I've found in ~30 mins of research:

1. PlayOn ($30 after trial)
Some options ...
a) Run PlayOn 24/7 on a Windows PC and access it through Mythbox.
b) [Power save option] Turn windows pc on via WoL from Myth when PlayOn needed.
c) [No windows option] Run PlayOn through Wine on MythBox, and access through (i) MythBox, or (ii) some other media device i.e. PS3.
- I imagine using PlayOn somehow would provide a nice interface?

2. Netflix Instant Watching through Monolight

- Still requires using a browser, but potential for watching netflix instant movies on Linux/Myth? (idea from here

3. Netflix, Hulu, etc, on Boxee
- Believe it could be a frontend (from this thread)?
- Anyone have good experience with this?

4. Netflix through VirtualBox
- Still needs full XP, and probably a mouse keyboard interface

5. Other???

Any ideas? Suggestions? Or perhaps even warnings to not go down one of these paths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:59 am 
Site Admin
Google MythVodka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:59 pm 
cecil wrote:
Google MythVodka.

(at first I thought you were joking..., but I'm glad I did google)

Very interesting.... thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 pm 
Am I correctly understanding that MythVodka downloads the shows to your local hard drive and transcodes them to mpeg2?

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Am I correctly understanding that MythVodka downloads the shows to your local hard drive and transcodes them to mpeg2?

Marc

Thats what I'm reading on the wiki page. The YouTube vid make it look well integrated too!

Anyone got Vodka running on KM? I'm tempted to try this, but heads will roll if I bork my system and I don't have time to unbork at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am 
OK, I've set up an R5.5 test system to install mythvodka to. I am using a combination of these ins ructions and these instruction, but no success yet. When I attempt to download streams it gets to the 20% point and then error exists. The last line spit out by the front end is:
Quote:
Error parsing data from grabber: Error: letter is expected in location line: 2456 Column 20

At this stage I cannot yet confirm that doing this didn't "bork" my test system...

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:02 pm 
Hmm interesting Marc. And thanks for the tip cecil!
I'll try and give it a shot either tomorrow or next weekend. In the meantime, any suggestions on ways to get Netflix Instant-Watch running through Myth? It didn't seem MythVodka handles that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:26 am 
I need some help. I need to build rtmpdump, but rtmpdump won't build because it depends on the boost libraries. I've downloaded the boost librariesand untared the file boost_1_37_0.tar.gz, but I have no idea where I should put it so that it will be on the correct pathes. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated -- I am very close to getting this to work.

I'm building a set of instructions that I've synthesized from 2 different sources. Once it all works, I will publish. My assessment so that far the there isn't anything I have had to do that would cause damage to a standard r5.5 install.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:51 pm 
the boost libraries that are in the debian repos for etch are working fine for me. They are an older release but rtmpdump build just fine. It shouldn't hurt to install them all with apt-get install libboost* I'm currently waiting for gethulu.pl to finish. I'll let you know how it goes after that finishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm 
greend139 wrote:
the boost libraries that are in the debian repos for etch are working fine for me. They are an older release but rtmpdump build just fine. It shouldn't hurt to install them all with apt-get install libboost* I'm currently waiting for gethulu.pl to finish. I'll let you know how it goes after that finishes.

Thanks for that info -- I found a way to build and install enough of it through the tarball download that I was able to get things working, but an apt-get install will be much cleaner / easier if it works.

mythvodka is working for me -- I'll summerize my directions in the next few days and post them for those interested. It's not bad -- probably a 15-20 step process.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:19 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
greend139 wrote:

Thanks for that info -- I found a way to build and install enough of it through the tarball download that I was able to get things working, but an apt-get install will be much cleaner / easier if it works.

mythvodka is working for me -- I'll summerize my directions in the next few days and post them for those interested. It's not bad -- probably a 15-20 step process.

Marc

Nice! Can you also post your thoughts on it's ease of use? Trying to gauge WAF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:13 pm 
OK, good progress but I'm looking for same mplayer expertise to help me with this next problem. (graysky -- I hope you're watching this space :-).)

First, an update. From the wiki it sounded like mythvodka transcoded the videos in a "batch" mode. It does not -- it plays them in real-time using mplayer. The problem is that not all of the them play. mplayer is able to play some of them, but on others it errors out -- see the messages below. I did some more experiments and it looks like there are quality choices, and the blow-out occurs on the high-quality videos. I have the codecs installed in /usr/lib/codecs per graysky's mplayer / mencoder howto.

Note: I updated the error message listing about 10 minutes after my original post, as i realized that i had missed some of them:
Quote:
==========================================================================
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x7.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Opening audio decoder: [dmo] Win32/DMO decoders
ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmspdmod.dll.
ADecoder preinit failed :(
IMediaObject ERROR: 0x88ad88b input format not accepted (0x80040205 : -2147220987)
ADecoder init failed :(
Opening audio decoder: [dshow] Win32/DirectShow decoders
ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmavds32.ax.
ADecoder preinit failed :(
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wmavds32.ax, /usr/lib/codecs/wmavds32.ax, /usr/lib/win32/wmavds32.ax, /usr/local/lib/win32/wmavds32.ax
Warning: DS_Filter() could not open DirectShow DLL. (DLL=wmavds32.ax, r=0x8ad772a)
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0xA.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Interestingly, I already have wmspdmod.dll installed properly but wmavds32.ax is nowhere to be found.
Quote:
root@mythtest:/# ls -l /usr/lib/codecs/wmspdmod.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 486504 Apr 27 2004 /usr/lib/codecs/wmspdmod.dll

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Too Many Secrets -- the interface is quite usable -- I would expect a very high WAF if the blow-outs can be solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:40 pm 
I've placed a preliminary copy of my instructionsin the wiki for those interested in experimenting with this stuff. As best I can tell this will not cause problems for your standard R5.5 system, but I can't guarantee it.

Still looking for help on the mplayer question in my previous post...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 pm 
Thanks Marc! I'll go through them ASAP and provide comments if necessary. It's always great to keep repeated effort (and struggles) at a minimum. :)

For the mplayer issue, you may already found this, but have you tried the solution here? Note also the link in pnix's comment at the bottom.

I'll also let you know if the error repeats on my machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
tzoom84 wrote:
Thanks Marc! I'll go through them ASAP and provide comments if necessary. It's always great to keep repeated effort (and struggles) at a minimum. :)

For the mplayer issue, you may already found this, but have you tried the solution here? Note also the link in pnix's comment at the bottom.

I'll also let you know if the error repeats on my machine.

tzoom84, thanks for the suggestion -- that link at the bottom does point to a tar file with a lot more codecs in it, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Subsequent to my post, I discovered that I was actually having two different problems:

1. Failure of playback from within the mythtv mythvodka plugin interface. I've since figured out how to solve this problem -- see step 19 in the wiki. (Yes -- the list of steps has grown a bit :-).

2. Playback of downloaded files. This problem is still happening and is the problem I was attempting to describe in my original post and that I am still trying to fix.

Back to the question that was asked earlier about usability -- there are a few "usability" issues I think worth mentioning.

1. Sometimes a video will not play when you hit "enter"/"ok". You will see some dialogue boxes come up and some processing will occur, but the video never starts. You can eventually get the video to play by simply trying it again -- most videos start on the first try and I've never seen a video take more than 3 tries to play successfully. Note that applying the step 19 wiki change is very important to solving this.

2. At least one dialogue box uses what some would consider "foul" language. It only comes up under certain error conditions, but some may find it offensive. I haven't seen this dialogue box come up since I worked out all of the configuration errors, but I thought it worth mentioning as some may be more sensitive to foul language than I am.

3. The download of "guide data" from Hulu can take a lot of time -- close to an hour. Look at the last few paragraphs of this wiki writeupfor a way to fix this. I'll add this to the knoppmyth wiki when I get a chance.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next